Food Cost

Business By deli91 Updated 24 Apr 2015 , 2:06pm by -K8memphis

deli91 Posted 22 Apr 2015 , 4:29am
post #1 of 11

I am a home based business as of right now i buy all my flour,butter,sugar etc at Sams Club however, i feel as if there prices are still pretty high...Where does everyone buy their ingredients at for a good price? i need to buy in bulks for sure! to give you an idea how much i go through i buy 25lbs of sugar and its basically gone by 2-2 1/2 weeks. Sams Club doesn't supply cake flour so i have to buy that at a regular store...where else can i buy in bulk?

thank You

10 replies
malou1021 Posted 22 Apr 2015 , 5:17am
post #2 of 11

You could try looking at amazon and with their prime membership you could have them ship a particular item on regular basis and probably without shipping cost. I buy most of my stuff at costco but I'm looking to buy my extract from amazon because I can't find a large enough bottles locally. And for the cakes that sell the most like white or chocolate I use recipes that calls for regular flour.  

deli91 Posted 22 Apr 2015 , 6:14am
post #3 of 11

Thanks! I'm going to look into amazon! never thought about that

AAtKT Posted 22 Apr 2015 , 12:22pm
post #4 of 11

If you have a GFS by you, they can special order cake flour for you.  (or yours may already carry it, mine just doesn't)

The cost for the cake flour was way better than the cost for it at the grocery store...

-K8memphis Posted 22 Apr 2015 , 1:07pm
post #5 of 11

you could order cases from walmart or you local grocery store -- try restaurant supply places too -- gotta restaurant depot nearby maybe? they sell fondant too

sdcupcakes Posted 22 Apr 2015 , 10:06pm
post #6 of 11

I just started using Restaurant Depot and it is wonderful...for most things.  You do have to have a Retail Merchant Certificate to signup though...meaning you are a legal business paying taxes.  My cost for cake flour went from $1.70 per pound for the 2lb boxes from the grocery store to $.28 per pound at RD for the 50lb bag.  I use GFS for some things but Costco is the cheapest for sugar, flour, eggs, etc.  Sam's club was still cheaper for things than GFS usually.  I also use Amazon prime for vanilla bean paste and gel colors, pastry bags are cheap too.

sdcupcakes Posted 22 Apr 2015 , 10:08pm
post #7 of 11

also try www.fondantsource.com for the specialty things

costumeczar Posted 22 Apr 2015 , 10:22pm
post #8 of 11

I go to Walmart on a weekly basis because their prices are the cheapest for my area. I had an account with a food distributor, but they were more expensive than Walmart for the amounts I was buying. If you have a sales tax certificate and collect sales tax then remit it to your state, you can get a tax exempt card at Walmart's customer service desk that will allow you to buy your ingredients without paying sales tax. Since they carry all the basics it keeps me from having to get the tax exemption at every store I would go to.

deli91 Posted 23 Apr 2015 , 5:13am
post #9 of 11

Thanks everyone great advice! 

TheItalianBaker Posted 24 Apr 2015 , 1:54pm
post #10 of 11

I order online at samsclub and they deliver right to my door..

-K8memphis Posted 24 Apr 2015 , 2:06pm
post #11 of 11

is this for disney? how big is the order?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%