Buttercream??

Decorating By fdusing Updated 22 Apr 2015 , 7:51pm by sdcupcakes

fdusing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fdusing Posted 21 Apr 2015 , 8:01pm
post #1 of 4

I make buttercream by using 2 sticks of butter, powder sugar until dry/cracked looking, and whipping cream until desired consistency.  I LOVE the taste, however, it's rather heavy and always has a yellow tint from the butter.  I am in need of an awesome BC recipe that turns out white.  I am wanting a light but tasty combo.  Thanks in advanced!! :)

3 replies
LaurenK314 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaurenK314 Posted 21 Apr 2015 , 8:17pm
post #2 of 4

Mine comes out white/very very slightly ivory. The recipe is:

1 C butter

1 C hi-ratio shortening

2 tsp clear vanilla

2 lbs powdered sugar

1/4 C milk/cream

The brand of butter really makes a difference in the final color of your buttercream, I've found. I've had good luck with Costco/Kirkland brand, it's fairly light-colored. Clear vanilla also makes a big difference.

MKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MKC Posted 22 Apr 2015 , 12:15pm
post #3 of 4

I usually beat this type of buttercream for a good 10 minutes at high speed....you will see that it will get lighter as it mixes.

I also use a mix of shortening and butter. The butter gives it a rich taste and the shortening the smooth texture.

sdcupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sdcupcakes Posted 22 Apr 2015 , 7:51pm
post #4 of 4

I also like using the Costco/kirkland brand of butter and it works great.  I do like MKC said and really whip the butter before adding anything.  I will also use a clear vanilla if I need it snow white.  I have read that if you add a tiny bit of purple gel color,(we are talking tiny bit on the end of a cocktail stick) that it will offset the yellow hue and appear more white?  Again I have never tried it, I need to try sometime when I don't need the icing right away.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%