I Will Not Put A Border On Wedding Cake

Decorating By natou Updated 22 Apr 2015 , 8:41pm by natou

natou Posted 21 Apr 2015 , 5:24pm
post #1 of 8

And I don t want the separator plates to show or having a space between the stacked cakes (5 of them). So should I put the separator plates on top of buttercream, then cover them with the fondant on top of the plates? 

Anyone ever done this?

i need some guidance on this please.

7 replies
costumeczar Posted 21 Apr 2015 , 10:52pm
post #2 of 8

If you don't want to do a border, you'll have to put the cakes on whatever they're going to be on, then cover them. If you cover them first then put them on a separator plate the plate will show when you stack the tiers.

sweets2thesweet Posted 21 Apr 2015 , 11:00pm
post #3 of 8

Yep, put the cake on the separator plate or cake board or whatever is supporting each tier and then cover it with fondant.  Occasionally you will still have a tiny bit of separation between the tiers.  If you're doing a white cake you can put a thin line of royal icing where the cakes meet and then smooth it out with your pinky finger or a straight edge.

natou Posted 21 Apr 2015 , 11:10pm
post #4 of 8

Quote by @sweets2thesweet on 3 minutes ago

Yep, put the cake on the separator plate or cake board or whatever is supporting each tier and then cover it with fondant.  Occasionally you will still have a tiny bit of separation between the tiers.  If you're doing a white cake you can put a thin line of royal icing where the cakes meet and then smooth it out with your pinky finger or a straight edge.

i am making a wedding cake to look like birch tree stomps, so when I stack the cakes I don t want to see the plates, and I can t put a border since it just tree stomps, so which way would you stack them? I don't even know if it can be done by putting the plate under the fondant...anyone ever done this?

natou Posted 21 Apr 2015 , 11:15pm
post #5 of 8

I see you have a stacked white and brown wedding cake in your album, very nice btw, and you didn't use border and it looks perfect, how did you stack them?

sweets2thesweet Posted 22 Apr 2015 , 6:23pm
post #6 of 8

I just put a cake board under each layer, then covered the entire thing in fondant.  You just want to make sure you get a good clean edge at the bottom.  You want to make sure your supports (straws/dowels/etc.) don't come above the top of the cake at all and just use a thin layer of royal icing or melted chocolate to secure the next tier.  Hope that helps!

sweets2thesweet Posted 22 Apr 2015 , 6:31pm
post #7 of 8

Also, if you look at my cakes, the blue and white one with the snowflake on top doesn't have a border on the top tier.  On that one I used the thin line of royal icing that I mentioned.  You could probably do that with a birch bark cake too.

natou Posted 22 Apr 2015 , 8:41pm
post #8 of 8

Yes thank you I think I will blend a small batch of royal icing and add same color to it just in case I get of a too showing gap. Thanks for your reply, it helped me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%