Ok To Buy A Premade Mudcake?

Business By MrsHoff Updated 20 Apr 2015 , 11:41am by Snowflakebunny23

MrsHoff Posted 20 Apr 2015 , 7:09am
post #1 of 4

Hi,

I have been making cakes for my family for a while now and after ALOT of enquiries from friends and friends of friends, i decided it was time i started up own small business. 

I am currently making my nephews first birthday cake for this sunday, and then my sisters 21st cake for next Saturday night. 

between them i need to make 5x 10" mudcakes, and they need to be sturdy as will be bottom tiers.

Unfortunately I have two little bubs at home, and both are quite sick at the moment and i am stressing! I only have one day without them ( each tuesday) and I am exhausted SO ... since these cakes are for family... Is it ok to go to my local Baker and purchase 3 of the mudcakes to be used for my sisters 21st, pre done in ganache so I can cut that out of the time i need or is this really bad business? Obviously wont be doing it for customers who are not family. And I dont plan to again, im just so tired. 

Thanks 

3 replies
julia1812 Posted 20 Apr 2015 , 8:17am
post #2 of 4

Hey, really sorry for you! I have a similar situation here (sick kids, sick myself - but thankfully no orders!). Since it's your sister, why don't you simply explain her the situation and ask her if she's okay with it if you purchase the cake and"only" do the decorations? I think it's a "good" test for you regarding opening a business. What will you do then? If the kids are sick? Or if you are sick??? Will you have co-workers to jump in? Will you tell customers that you can't do their cake a day or two before it's due!? These are all things to consider for the future... Ain't saying you shouldn't go for it... Just make sure you have thought it through!

Snowflakebunny23 Posted 20 Apr 2015 , 11:41am
post #3 of 4

Sorry your kids are sick and hope they all feel better soon.  I'd echo julia1812's comments about it being a good stress-test for the business.  In terms of outsourcing the making of the mud cakes, you have to consider 2 things:

- How good are the mudcakes you are looking to buy?

- Are you looking for this cake to be a 'word-spreader' for your business?  As in, are you expecting people to talk about the cake and possibly be future customers?  If so, you need the cake to be the best it can be.

It is a tough one but I would be wary about outsourcing unless you have a darned good supplier.  Even family can be a bit funny if the cake isn't right.  I would LOVE to be able to buy in my cake and just do the decoration because I hate the baking part of caking and find it incredibly stressful but I haven't found anyone who makes cakes to the standard I want...so for now, I still have to bake :-(

Sidenote though...five 10" cakes are a LOT of cake, especially if they are just the bottom tiers!  Are you sure you need all that much? 

Snowflakebunny23 Posted 20 Apr 2015 , 11:41am
post #4 of 4

Sorry your kids are sick and hope they all feel better soon.  I'd echo julia1812's comments about it being a good stress-test for the business.  In terms of outsourcing the making of the mud cakes, you have to consider 2 things:

- How good are the mudcakes you are looking to buy?

- Are you looking for this cake to be a 'word-spreader' for your business?  As in, are you expecting people to talk about the cake and possibly be future customers?  If so, you need the cake to be the best it can be.

It is a tough one but I would be wary about outsourcing unless you have a darned good supplier.  Even family can be a bit funny if the cake isn't right.  I would LOVE to be able to buy in my cake and just do the decoration because I hate the baking part of caking and find it incredibly stressful but I haven't found anyone who makes cakes to the standard I want...so for now, I still have to bake :-(

Sidenote though...five 10" cakes are a LOT of cake, especially if they are just the bottom tiers!  Are you sure you need all that much? 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%