American Buttercream, Imbc, Smbc Difference? Texture?

Baking By aftonrodrigues Updated 19 Apr 2015 , 7:34pm by -K8memphis

aftonrodrigues Posted 19 Apr 2015 , 12:56pm
post #1 of 3

Start baking for few years now but i still have problem when dealing with cakes,

more into pastry back then and now starting back all together,

If u ask me, surely surprise u that i never have cake in my entire life for birthday, probably when i was little but cant remember the texture. 

I tried american buttercream, but i never knew if the texture is right.

I never bought any cake from outside since i bake my own. Self taught baker.

Is it suppose to be like sugary? or smooth as IMBC and SMBC?

Because if its wasn't, then yeah, i tried so many time and failed i suppose, i ended up throwing away :'( 

I tried IMBC but i use SMCS for now since it was faster than IMBC.

But is there any way i can make it whiter? not yellowish, butter colour. Because it wasn't turns out good with colours,

Red turn into pink even i put many,

Blue turn into lavender. 

Or is it take time to deepen the colour?

Even my cream cheese using SMBC method.

2 replies
Soprina Posted 19 Apr 2015 , 1:51pm
post #2 of 3

American buttercream is super sweet and gritty texture the others IMBC and SMBC are not as sweet and smooth. The only way to make it pure white is by using all Crisco or a butter substitute and adding butter flavor to the buttercream. As far as the color goes I'm not sure maybe someone else could help, gel colors are the best way IMO not sure what you are using, sometimes you have to mix colors a little to get the right color red will be pink if not enough it added. Red, blue, black are colors that are tricky they need a tone of color sometimes and some times it helps to let the color sit overnight to darken then add more if need be in the morning. HTH

-K8memphis Posted 19 Apr 2015 , 7:34pm
post #3 of 3

american buttercream is smooth -- it is sweeter and thicker/heavier than the meringue buttercreams -- one way to get the pale yellow color lighter is to let it mix forever -- some people add a tiny bit of purple food color to counteract the yellow but i've never done that -- i just tell my brides that the icing is slightly off white because it is food --

when you start with a pale yellow icing (from the butter and real vanilla) it's hard to get the pale colors right -- the more definite colors should come through -- you could use spray color too --

i applaud all your efforts, afton rodrigues, it's really hard to create something without having comparisons -- good on you

Quote by @%username% on %date%