How To Know How Much Batter A Recipe Will Make And How To Adjust The Batter Size For The Cake Pan Size

Baking By crista29 Updated 19 Apr 2015 , 5:29am by julia1812

crista29 Posted 19 Apr 2015 , 2:21am
post #1 of 5

Hello everyone!

I just joined cake central I have been making and decorating cakes for a few years now. I have always just guessed on how much batter I need for whatever cake sizes I am doing. But now that I am slowing getting into doing cakes for other people and charging them. I need a more effective way of doing things. I know this might be a stupid question but this is a place I feel comfortable asking. I have recipes that I love to use all the time for bday cakes so on and so forth.. most of them will fill (2) 9x2 pans. So my question is how can I figure exactly how much batter I will need for any other size cake? I need to be more cost efficient instead of just "winging it".. 

4 replies
Inga1 Posted 19 Apr 2015 , 2:36am
post #2 of 5

Crista

Check out this link to the Wilton website. It lists the batter amounts for each type of pan.

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-serving-guide.cfm

craftybanana2 Posted 19 Apr 2015 , 2:37am
post #3 of 5

I'm not sure if this helps or not, but measure how much batter you get from a recipe, then how many cups it takes to fill a pan to how full you want it (1/2 full, 2/3s full). You can fill the pan with water to see how many cups it takes. Wilton has a good approximation of how much batter per pan on their site. Maybe someone has the link handy. It's a place to start :)

crista29 Posted 19 Apr 2015 , 2:55am
post #4 of 5

Thank you Inga1 and craftybanana2 That has helped a lot! I am liking how everyone seems so helpful on this website :)

julia1812 Posted 19 Apr 2015 , 5:29am
post #5 of 5

That's the chart I'm using too. With recipes that don't state the pan size, I simply add up all the ingredients and convert them into cups...et voila!

Quote by @Inga1 on 2 hours ago

Crista

Check out this link to the Wilton website. It lists the batter amounts for each type of pan.

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-serving-guide.cfm

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%