Help Please. Son's Party Tomorrow, And Having Problems Decorating Cake.

Decorating By Sukee Updated 19 Apr 2015 , 11:15pm by Sukee

Sukee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sukee Posted 18 Apr 2015 , 10:13pm
post #1 of 12

My son's science party is tomorrow. He wanted a two tiered cake with a flask on top with a test tube pouring in liquid. I made the flask and test tube out of rice crispy treats so it wouldn't be so heavy. It still seems pretty heavy on the wire. I'm kind of worried the test tube is going to bust. I made my marshmallow fondant yesterday. I'm covering the rice crispy forms, and is there anyway to get the fondant to dry in time for tomorrow afternoon? My daughter read to put the fondant in the oven, but I'm afraid if the rice crispy gets warm it might melt. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I'm stuck. Thanks :)

11 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 18 Apr 2015 , 10:15pm
post #2 of 12

oh my God, don't put it in the oven! The fondant will melt too, it's jstu sugar.

You could wipe melted chocolate or candy melts all over the rice krispy test tube to solidify it if it's not covered in fondant already. That will make it into a solid piece. 

Sukee Posted 18 Apr 2015 , 10:16pm
post #3 of 12

I did put chocolate candy melts on it first and then used a little grater to smooth it up prior to putting the MMF on it.

Sukee Posted 18 Apr 2015 , 10:17pm
post #4 of 12

My daughter read to put it in the oven with just the oven light on and it would dry it out, but I really don't know.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 18 Apr 2015 , 10:20pm
post #5 of 12

That's a load, that light isn't going make any difference. I've heard of putting things in a gas oven that has a pilot light but I don't think newer ovens even have that anymore. I think that if you put enough candy melts on it that will be enough to keep it in one piece. If you can wait to put it on the cake until the last minute, if it's going to be in a precarious position, that would probably be good too.

Sukee Posted 18 Apr 2015 , 10:36pm
post #6 of 12

Yes, I will wait and just bring it with me. I'm also worried about the MMF that I'm putting on the cake. Is it going to be all soft and should it have time to harden prior to serving it. I'm so brand new with all this stuff.

KellyKSD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellyKSD Posted 19 Apr 2015 , 12:01am
post #7 of 12

Hi, Sukee - 

I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding your question about drying/hardening time, but there is definitely a difference in using fondant for toppers and other decorations and using it to cover your cake. I saw in another similar thread you posted that you read that it takes MMF up to five days to dry, and you were wondering if people actually let their cakes sit out for that long to dry. When people are talking about this length of drying time, they are referring to figurines or other decorations that are made out of fondant and need to dry hard, like a cake topper or other 3D decoration for the cake. The fondant that actually covers the cake does not need to harden -- in fact, you wouldn't likely want it to. 

With regard to you flask/test tube topper, if you are putting the fondant over Rice Krispy Treats, you shouldn't have to allow that to "harden" either -- I've done several cakes with RKT covered with fondant, and I've covered them the day before or day of delivery without any problems. 

Good luck with your cake! 

Frank68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frank68 Posted 19 Apr 2015 , 2:53am
post #8 of 12

I'm not sure how far you've gotten but marshmallow fondant can be pretty soft. You can add tylose/CMC/gum tragacanth to the MMF and speed up drying time or just mix 50/50 gumpaste/fondant and cover with that. I would not recommend the oven as others have indicated as well. What I've used in the past is a fan to speed up drying process.

Hope that helps!

Sukee Posted 19 Apr 2015 , 5:09am
post #9 of 12

Thank you ladies so very much for your help! You all have been great :)

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Apr 2015 , 5:16am
post #10 of 12

Yes, what Frank said - put the decoration in front of a fan that's just blowing softly - you don't want it blowing hard & taking your item apart :)

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 19 Apr 2015 , 5:22am
post #11 of 12

Quote by @Sukee on 7 hours ago

My daughter read to put it in the oven with just the oven light on and it would dry it out, but I really don't know.

Yes, it works. I do it all the time. But only for fondant that has been mixed with CMC or gum paste. Speeds up the drying time by about 60-80% for me.

Sukee Posted 19 Apr 2015 , 11:15pm
post #12 of 12

Thank you Frank for that information, and everyone for all the information! The test tube ended up being too heavy and we were prepared to make a revision if necessary. The party was a HUGE success! It was the first time I made a layered cake and I did a checker board pattern inside. It all turned out great. I tried to post a picture, but I can't figure out how to post pictures to my gallery. I posted a pic in my avatar, but it didn't fit right and I can't change it. :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%