Help Please. Son's Party Tomorrow, And Having Problems Decorating Cake.

Baking By Sukee Updated 6 May 2015 , 1:30am by Sukee

Sukee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sukee Posted 18 Apr 2015 , 10:09pm
post #1 of 12

My son's science party is tomorrow. He wanted a two tiered cake with a flask on top with a test tube pouring in liquid. I made the flask on test tube out of rice crispy treats so it wouldn't be so heavy. It still seems pretty heavy on the wire. I'm kind of worried the test tube is going to bust. I made my marshmallow fondant yesterday. I'm covering the rice crispy forms, and is there anyway to get the fondant to dry in time for tomorrow afternoon? My daughter read to put the fondant in the oven, but I'm afraid if the rice crispy gets warm it might melt. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I'm stuck. Thanks :)

11 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Apr 2015 , 10:16pm
post #2 of 12

don't put the rice krispie treat test tube/flask in the oven -- you could test this but you have no time for a do-over -- right?

you could take it off and use modeling chocolate aka candy clay instead -- it sets up much faster like just put it in the fridge for 10 minutes because it is chocolate --

the last time i made marshmallow fondant it took a very long time to dry -- much longer than regular fondant --

-K8memphis Posted 18 Apr 2015 , 10:18pm
post #3 of 12

test with some random extra bits not with your real test tube -- but later when you have time to dabble putter around

-K8memphis Posted 18 Apr 2015 , 10:19pm
post #4 of 12

if you consider the candy clay you could cut it down a little to reduce the weight? or you need a heftier wire?

Sukee Posted 18 Apr 2015 , 10:34pm
post #5 of 12

I've read and read about this, and I'm so confused and do not understand. I'm reading it can take 5 days for MMF to dry. You can't put it on your cake and then put it in the refrigerator or freezer because of condensation. I don't think people are leaving their cake out with MMF on it for 5 days before they serve it. I'm just so confused!

-K8memphis Posted 18 Apr 2015 , 11:38pm
post #6 of 12

here let me help you -- at this point marshmallow fondant is not your friend -- some choices:

• go buy some fondant from the store (walmart maybe, cake deco store, michael's, hobby lobby)
  • if you've used candy clay before that would be a very good option right now but if it's new to you factor in that you've got a little learning curve but it's much more user friendly than the mmf--
  • you could even use melted white chocolate if your items are not too big
  • you could cover it with buttercream and smooth it over with paper towels or a smooth weave brand new uber clean towel
  • change your design -- use the mmf on the cake as is and just do the best you can -- 

Sukee Posted 19 Apr 2015 , 11:19pm
post #7 of 12

Thank you so much K8memphis for helping me! The elevated test tube ended up just being too heavy. We did prepare to change the design if needed, and that's what we did. I tried to post a pic of it in my avatar, but it was too close. I can't figure out how to post pictures or how to change it now. LOL The party was a HUGE success though, and it was my first time at a layered cake. I did a checkerboard inside cake, and my son LOVED it. Which that is all I ever wanted :)  Thanks again!

The test tube ended up being too heavy and we were prepared to make a revision if necessary. The party was a HUGE success! It was the first time I made a layered cake and I did a checker board pattern inside. It all turned out great. I tried to post a picture, but I can't figure out how to post pictures to my gallery. I posted a pic in my avatar, but it didn't fit right and I can't change it. :)
Read more at http://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/794942/help-please-sons-party-tomorrow-and-having-problems-decorating-cake#post_7593666#QFcWqDGvXMBkrjQu.99
The test tube ended up being too heavy and we were prepared to make a revision if necessary. The party was a HUGE success! It was the first time I made a layered cake and I did a checker board pattern inside. It all turned out great. I tried to post a picture, but I can't figure out how to post pictures to my gallery. I posted a pic in my avatar, but it didn't fit right and I can't change it. :)
Read more at http://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/794942/help-please-sons-party-tomorrow-and-having-problems-decorating-cake#post_7593666#QFcWqDGvXMBkrjQu.99

-K8memphis Posted 20 Apr 2015 , 2:50am
post #8 of 12

Awesome, he liked it so it was a big hit -- yay, mom! That's what counts-- so happy for you

dm321 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dm321 Posted 20 Apr 2015 , 3:24am
post #9 of 12

Oh, that turned out really cute! Love the bubbles! Great job!

lisasnider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisasnider Posted 20 Apr 2015 , 3:32am
post #10 of 12

I know this is a little off topic but I'm curious. I make MMF all the time and I've never had a problem with it drying. Just wondering what would cause that?

Glad it all worked out for you!!

Sukee Posted 6 May 2015 , 1:28am
post #11 of 12

Thank you so very much! :)

Sukee Posted 6 May 2015 , 1:30am
post #12 of 12

It wasn't drying. My problem is that I didn't make it far enough in advance for it to dry. Sorry for the confusion. Thanks you all so much. You all made me so happy, and I appreciated all the advice!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%