Any One With A Deluxe Or Commercial Oven, Need Help!

Baking By CakesbyMichele Updated 18 Apr 2015 , 2:11pm by CakesbyMichele

CakesbyMichele Posted 17 Apr 2015 , 6:31pm
post #1 of 10

I got a deluxe cr 2-3 oven last fall and just got my kitchen up and running last month.  I've been using the original WASC recipe with duncan hines cake mix which great success.  People raved about the moistness.  Now I've had 2 comments about the cake not being very moist since using the deluxe oven!  I think the texture is more fluffy then my other cakes in my old oven, but has a nice texture and taste.  I guess it's not a 'wet' moist (best way to describe it).  Any suggestions on how to get a more 'wet' moist cake using a deluxe (commercial) oven with the WASC recipe?  Thanks for any input.  Michele

9 replies
-K8memphis Posted 17 Apr 2015 , 6:34pm
post #2 of 10

same oven i've got -- i use wasc with self rising flour -- my oven bakes like a champ -- think you might be over baking?

also i use simple syrup flavored 'splashes' on my cakes

-K8memphis Posted 17 Apr 2015 , 6:36pm
post #3 of 10

some places i've worked keep a shallow dish of water in their ovens to produce more steam in the bake

CakesbyMichele Posted 17 Apr 2015 , 8:35pm
post #4 of 10

I don't think I've been over baking as I have been careful to check the cakes earlier than normal as I'm using the oven is new to me.  I've been baking at 325.  I think the cakes have been coming out great myself but am a little concerned with the two comments.  The one customer had mentioned wanting 'super moist" and the other one was upset over a design issue (long story) so that may have been more of a spiteful attack. I'm not sure if adding some oil would help.  I'll definitely try the water in the bottom and see how that works.  What kind of simple splash do you use?

-K8memphis Posted 17 Apr 2015 , 8:47pm
post #5 of 10

cake mixes are calibrated to be baked at 350 -- if they are larger cakes and are not done in the middle i turn it down to 325 at the end -- also tent with foil and keep the foil on for the first 10 minutes after removing from the oven -- sure oil will help -- you're not adding oil? also an egg yolk will definitely help if you're doing white cakes they will still be white --

are you measuring out 18 ounces of cake mix -- or at least adjusting for the smaller size cake mixes? 

i use equal parts sugar + water cooked till the sugar dissolves -- add 1 part grand marnier to 3 parts simple syrup -- or whatever flavor just add it to taste -- and squirt or brush it on each layer as you build your tiers --

good that you are taking the comments seriously -- it takes a little time to get accustomed to a new oven -- 

kakeladi Posted 17 Apr 2015 , 9:23pm
post #6 of 10

I baked my WASC cakes in a commercial oven but don't remember the name/brand.  I always baked at 300 degrees for about 20-30 minutes (depending on the size) then turn it up to 325 for about an equal amount of time.  Never had complaint.  BTW this was before the downsizing of the mixes. 

As k8 said it does take time to adjust to a new (especially commercial) oven AND........every oven bakes differently!  I never added oil but you might try adding some fruit sauce ie: apple sauce usually but I've read about using prune sauce LOL so I'm sure any fruit will work - just blend it into a sauce consistency.  The only times I used simple syrup was if I over baked the cake so it was dry - which was almost never :) 

CakesbyMichele Posted 17 Apr 2015 , 10:30pm
post #7 of 10

I follow the original WASC recipe so, no I haven't been using oil.  I had no problem using the WASC recipe with the downsized cake mixes.  Still following the same recipe with the small cake mixes.  Is there a different proportion of ingredients to use for the downsized cake mix using WASC?  I just can't see me measuring out the cake mix to go back up to the original 18 ounce.    I did use applesauce before using the WASC recipe so I may go back to adding that or oil.  Probably will experiment with both and see what works better.  I also read that the pudding mix helps make it moist.  Thanks for the advise.

kakeladi Posted 18 Apr 2015 , 1:47am
post #8 of 10

When the smaller sized mixes came out I did add more mix from another b ox but eventually I forgot and used those smaller mixes w/o changing anything.  In fact, if one takes the time to scroll down in the  posting of the original recipe you will see where I told about that.

-K8memphis Posted 18 Apr 2015 , 12:51pm
post #9 of 10

i was just tossing out possible ideas --- if you did want to measure out the cake mix you need one fifth of a bag additional so for every 5 cake mix just add another box 

CakesbyMichele Posted 18 Apr 2015 , 2:11pm
post #10 of 10

okay, thanks.  I'm going to try adding a little oil, pudding mix and an extra egg.  Just going for the whole moistness gambit and see how it goes! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%