Refrigeration Of Decorated Cakes? Help!

Decorating By KarenOR Updated 19 Apr 2015 , 3:20am by KarenOR

KarenOR Posted 17 Apr 2015 , 5:10pm
post #1 of 8

I'm doing a cake for my son's birthday party tomorrow.  The bottom tier is buttercream with modeling chocolate flat decorations attached (in theory...since it's not done yet).  Will this withstand the fridge overnight?

The other things I can wait and do tomorrow morning, but I wanted to get that done.

Thanks!

7 replies
kakeladi Posted 17 Apr 2015 , 9:41pm
post #2 of 8

Once a cake is either crumb coated or iced, no matter what kind of icing is used it will "withstand refrigeration" with no problems.  In fact there really is no need to even refrig it.  It will be fine at room temp for up to about 48 hours depending on the temp in the house. 

When you remove the cake from the frige there might be condensation form (it depends on how warm the room is) - if so just don't touch it at all and that will evaporate and the cake will be just fine.

cakegrandma Posted 18 Apr 2015 , 1:04am
post #3 of 8

I agree with kakeladi. She is absolutley right on all points.

rachelliz1 Posted 18 Apr 2015 , 11:09am
post #4 of 8

Can I ask a question? In the UK we don't refrigerate fondant. It makes it go sweaty. How do you manage this? 

After i have crumb coated and second coated with buttercream i then cover with fondant. I then store in the cardboard box that cake will be delivered in. 

cakegrandma Posted 18 Apr 2015 , 11:30am
post #5 of 8

When you remove it from the fridge, just leave it set and the condensation will disappear. Don't touch it as your fingerprints will stay on the fondant.  If you leave it alone it will be fine.

kakeladi Posted 18 Apr 2015 , 4:24pm
post #6 of 8

Yes, what she ^^^ said.  Put it in the box and let the sweat naturally evaporate.  Depending the the temp change that can take about 30 min to 2 hours.  Just *DON'T* be tempted to touch it in any way.

maybenot Posted 19 Apr 2015 , 2:55am
post #7 of 8

If you box a decorated cake in a cardboard box and refrigerate it, leave it still boxed on the counter while it's coming to room temp.  That way, the condensation goes to the box and not to the surface of the cake.  Once at room temp, the cake should come out of the box sweat-free.

KarenOR Posted 19 Apr 2015 , 3:20am
post #8 of 8

It was way too big for a box.  I put it in the fridge and it was okay.  I just didn't touch it.

Thanks for the advice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%