My Modeling Chocolate Experience

Baking By storestore

storestore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
storestore Posted 17 Apr 2015 , 5:08pm
post #1 of 1

Well, I took the plunge into modelling chocolate with a horse head cake and I LOVE the idea... if I can make it work a little better for me. The main issue I had was that the chocolate was only really pliable when it was warm. I found myself working to shape and smooth one side of the horse and by the time I got to the other side it was stiff and hard and i could barely work it. I had to take a knife and cut away at the surface to make it look smooth, or add warm stuff on top, or sometimes I took my hair dryer to try and warm it. These techniques kind of got me through the process but I was still not overly happy with the final product.  I found myself doing a lot of patching with warm modelling chocolate on the seams because it was just too hard. Sometimes I would be smoothing and it would be going fine and next thing you know I would be getting a grainy sandy texture as I was smoothing. My recipe: 5 cups white candy melts, 1 cup light corn syrup. These are the melts: http://www.bulkbarn.ca/en-ca/product/baking-chocolate/merckens-white-chocolate-flavoured-molding-wafers.html. Any tips out there to improve my experience? I am hoping to do an Elsa figurine tonight. Thanks!

0 replies

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%