Airbrush Color Beading Up On Cake

Español By babyblue113 Updated 11 Jun 2017 , 10:15pm by craftycakes0627

babyblue113 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babyblue113 Posted 17 Apr 2015 , 1:28pm
post #1 of 8

Just this morning I started airbrushing a fondant covered cake and noticed that it started to form beads in certain spots.  I am using Americolor brand.  Has this ever happened to anyone or does anyone know why this happens?  Thanks for your help.

7 replies
Sunshine0063 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunshine0063 Posted 17 Apr 2015 , 2:17pm
post #2 of 8

did you have the cake in the fridge before you airbrushed it? If it was cold it could be condensation beading up on it. I found out the hard way on a buttercream cake I airbrushed and put in the fridge after.

babyblue113 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babyblue113 Posted 17 Apr 2015 , 2:21pm
post #3 of 8

Yes! I airbrushed it right out of the fridge :( then I tried wiping off those areas that had the condensation and now I have a bunch of streaks.  I'm going to airbrush it again, once the cake is at room temperature this time....hopefully I can hide the streaks.  Thank you!

craftycakes0627 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftycakes0627 Posted 10 Jun 2017 , 2:42am
post #4 of 8

I now this is an old thread but babyblue were you able to hide the streaks?  or did you have to remove the fondant and start over??  I have the exact same problem right now.  :(  But my fondant cracked right around the base of the cake so I used shortening to smooth it out....  then the bottom color (black) ran right off when air brushed.  I wiped it off as best I could and i'm letting it dry at room temp tonight.  Hoping tomorrow I can just hide the streaks....  if not, its a do over.  :( thanks!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 Jun 2017 , 10:08pm
post #5 of 8

Not sure if just wiping off the shortening is going to be enough.   You have to remove that film of 'fat' in order for the color to stick.  I'm thinking you need to wipe the fondant w/something like Vodka in order to remove the film of fat. 

craftycakes0627 Posted 11 Jun 2017 , 1:39pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks kakeladi.  I did wind up having to use vodka to clean the surface and I wound but just hand-painting the very bottom black-black.  It was not what I envisioned for the cake but it looks nice.  My husband and son were like "That looks SO COOL!!!"  

The customer is picking up soon so I hope she feels the same!

http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3396695/golden-grad-cake 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Jun 2017 , 8:31pm
post #7 of 8

There is NO reason a customer should not be in love w/that creation:)

craftycakes0627 Posted 11 Jun 2017 , 10:15pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks kakeladi.  :) I'm such a perfectionist!  If it doesn't turn out like I envisioned, it's wrong to me.  Lol!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%