Any Way To Make Your Own Cutters??

Decorating By Snowflakebunny23 Updated 17 Apr 2015 , 7:52pm by -K8memphis

Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 17 Apr 2015 , 11:47am
post #1 of 10

I'm about to do a corporate cake which will require the cutting out of lots (and lots) of a logo to top cupcakes...joy.  The idea of cutting each one with a knife makes me want to cry.  My backup plan is to make my own mold but, i wondered if anyone knows of a way to make your own cutters?  Perhaps you can buy stainless steel strips which you can bend into the right shape yourself?  It would make life soooooo much easier.

Thanks!

9 replies
Mr_Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mr_Gray Posted 17 Apr 2015 , 12:20pm
post #2 of 10

lol (well- lol now - it drove me nuts at the time!!!) I have tried a few times by cutting up things like disposable baking trays but I find that if its thin enough to cut nice and cleanly it bends out of shape, and if its thick enough to hold its shape it mashes the edges all raggedy and you have to spend ages neatening them up anyway.... I wonder if theres anyone on ebay who does custom cutters?  is it something you could use a combination of generic cutters for maybe?

...there's a collage near us that lets you rent a 3d printer..... you could try near you- they might even be able to help you design a 3d pattern from the logo and print you a cutter!!! fingers totally crossed as thats a real long shot hee hee!

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 17 Apr 2015 , 12:43pm
post #3 of 10

Well, let me brag a little bit!

Having literally NO good baking supply here at all, I discovered one good thing. Just had 14 flower cutters made from aluminum (for orchids etc) and paid under a dollar per piece

Mr_Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mr_Gray Posted 17 Apr 2015 , 1:02pm
post #4 of 10

Where did you get them made Julia??

Cher2309b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cher2309b Posted 17 Apr 2015 , 1:16pm
post #5 of 10

If you google "Roots and Wings Cookie Cutter 101" you'll find instructions for making, what look like, quite professional-style copper cookie cutters. I've never done it myself; so I can't comment. I also found some instructions (googling DIY cookie cutters) to make them out of aluminium cans.

I buy beautiful copper cookie cutters from www.ecrandal.com. They're not cheap but wonderful quality. They also do custom-made cookie cutters.

Are edible images of the logo an option? I've done that a couple of times - seems much simpler.

Good luck.

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 17 Apr 2015 , 1:23pm
post #6 of 10

Coppergifts.com  makes copper cutters.  They have made me several custom cutters.  They are super nice folks and fast.  (they also have a big selection of  ready made).  

There are a number of kits out there too.  I bought one similar to this, but have not yet tried to make my own.  Much easier to have someone else do it!

http://www.amazon.com/International-Design-Your-Cookie-Cutter/dp/B002WC8Y3O

Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 17 Apr 2015 , 2:29pm
post #7 of 10

Thanks for the thoughts everyone!

@julia1812 - that sounds amazing!!  Can you tell us where you got them from?  I am always horified at the cost of cookie cutters, even if they do last and are good quality.

@cher2309b - that is exactly what I was thinking!  I never thought to look for copper (I was looking for steel or aluminum) but initial searches suggest it's more readily available...just have to find someone in the UK to supply it.

I had thought of 3d printing and custom cutters but unfortunately, I don't have the time to do that in this case - it is a last minute order (i usually don't take them but I've done their cakes before and it's a huge company so lots of opportunities!).  Definately a good idea for the next one though!  There are sooo many options for edible printers...

I'm not very happy about edible prints as they will be next to a cutting cake which will be fondant so I want the colours to match exactly.   Thankfully the logo is just one shape so I could always make a stencil and airbrush it on which would be miles quicker...just need to make sure again I can match it to the cake colour.

Right, off to source some copper roll!! 

p.s. have they removed the 'location' thing for all of our profiles?  That was really helpful...

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 17 Apr 2015 , 6:37pm
post #8 of 10

Quote by @Mr_Gray on 5 hours ago

Where did you get them made Julia??

Yes, I asked the guy who's done other aluminum work for me in the past as I was quite desperate to get them...but not for uk/us price.

Unfortunately I live in Kenya, so I guess that comes as a little disappointment for you guys. Sorry!

thecakewitch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakewitch Posted 17 Apr 2015 , 7:41pm
post #9 of 10

If you have time to order online http://www.kitchenkrafts.com/product/make-your-own-cookie-cutters-kit

Or maybe you can find it at the craft store. It's easy to use.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Apr 2015 , 7:52pm
post #10 of 10

what i do is cut out the shape in foam core board so i can then just bend the aluminum around that -- works pretty good -- when you have a tight/sharp corner you pretty much get one shot at it because the metal is so malleable it will break if you try & redo it -- but just put a band aid on it -- more metal that is --and you're good to go

it's easy and fun

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%