Freezing A Decorated Cake With Buttercream?

Decorating By GimmiemoreCake Updated 24 Apr 2015 , 4:10am by GimmiemoreCake

GimmiemoreCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GimmiemoreCake Posted 17 Apr 2015 , 10:10am
post #1 of 9

Hello Everyone,

I have frozen decorated cakes that came out just fine, but I have also frozen some that came out dry. So, is there a "trick" to it for those who have had success? For example, if I buttercream a cake and add the decorations, will it be fine to seal in in a plastic container, rather than wrapping it in plastic and foil which may ruin the decorations? Please help, I will have to freeze a large cake for about a week if I am to take this order..  

Thanks!

8 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 17 Apr 2015 , 7:01pm
post #2 of 9

I've never frozen a decorated cake, so it's only a shot in the dark...until someone knowledgeable switches the light on

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Apr 2015 , 9:29pm
post #3 of 9

I've done it a few times.  In a plastic container should be fine but nothing wrong w/wrapping either.  How?  Just put the cake in the fzr without any wrapping a couple of hours (until it freezes hard) then wrap it up.  If unwrapped while still fzn there should be no problems.  Most likely it will have sweating but just don't touch it *at all* until the moisture has evaporated. 

What kind of decorations are you using?  I have fzn fondant and even some gumpaste decos without a problem. 

GimmiemoreCake Posted 18 Apr 2015 , 10:10am
post #4 of 9

Thank you all very much. I was going to use simple piped buttercream decor and add gum paste flowers once the cake was thawed and ready to go. 

julia1812 Posted 18 Apr 2015 , 10:14am
post #5 of 9

Sorry, just noticed that 3/4 of my post is missing! Ahh.

GimmiemoreCake Posted 18 Apr 2015 , 10:21am
post #6 of 9

LOL. I thought maybe you were into the wine while blogging!

julia1812 Posted 18 Apr 2015 , 4:14pm
post #7 of 9

Hahaha, gosh, that's embarrassing! No, I wasn't, but I might be soon after this, LOL! 

Quote by @GimmiemoreCake on 5 hours ago

LOL. I thought maybe you were into the wine while blogging!

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 19 Apr 2015 , 3:00am
post #8 of 9

I've done it many times and my method always works.

Box the completed cake in a cardboard box. Wrap the box in saran and foil.  Freeze.  24 hrs. b/4 serving, place the wrapped box in the fridge.  Several hours before serving, place the wrapped box on the counter to come to room temp--any condensation will be absorbed by the cardboard and not wind up on the cake.  Right before display/serving, remove the cake from the box.

This cake was handled in this manner by the client.  No bleeding of the ruby fondant damask, or any other problems.

benison+cake_9+-+Copy.jpg

GimmiemoreCake Posted 24 Apr 2015 , 4:10am
post #9 of 9

Wow, that's beautiful! And, thank you very much.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%