How To Eloquently State From The Beginning That Your Services Don't Come Dirt Cheap?

Business By Cakecrazy25 Updated 17 Apr 2015 , 1:43am by Apti

Cakecrazy25 Posted 16 Apr 2015 , 3:01pm
post #1 of 11

It took me a long time to understand that the gift I have along with my continued commitment to excellence should be assigned a proper monetary value. Not to mention the effort and funds it took to become a legal entity.

When I got into caking my ultimate goal was to make other people happy by any means necessary. What I've learned in the past few years is that in order to make others happy, that I too have to be happy and fulfilled.  

With all that being said, I think it's important that I don't waste my time or anyone elses. What are some things that you would  say right  in the beginning to convey that your products dont come dirt cheap, to avoid sticker shock?

Any comments would be helpful. Thank you.

10 replies
costumeczar Posted 16 Apr 2015 , 3:32pm
post #2 of 11

Set a minimum price per cake and stick to it, first of all. That weeds out a lot of bargain hunters.

puddles_gal Posted 16 Apr 2015 , 3:38pm
post #3 of 11

Even if clients send me a specific picture and want a price for that exact cake, I always let them know the base pricing first, and inform them that figurines, handmade flowers, handcut logos, deluxe flavours are extra, etc. Then I tell them to get back to me if they are still interested. If they do respond, I know that they are more serious about ordering and then I will take the time to price out the cake. Hope this helps!

Cakecrazy25 Posted 16 Apr 2015 , 3:41pm
post #4 of 11

Hello costumeczar ! I like that term "bargain hunters"!! I have followed your advice and used a minimum order.  I think the problem is that I talk with them via email about their needs first. After a little back and forth, I send them a fee schedule. 

In my initial email, I try to set the tone by telling them about my products and the ingredients I use and the level of service they will receive. I think i'm missing the mark. I believe whatever i'm saying is not quite strong enough for them to grasp.   Maybe my process is all wrong. 

Cakecrazy25 Posted 16 Apr 2015 , 3:55pm
post #5 of 11

Hello puddles_gal. Thank you. Your format seems similar to mine.

Lately, I've had 3 rejects after I provided the price list. I'm not too worried about my prices because I know they are competitive and in line with the type of clientele I'm trying to ultimately attract. 

I guess I need to know how to ward off people who are more concerned with price over quality without being pretentious, because that is not how I am or want to be portrayed. 

puddles_gal Posted 16 Apr 2015 , 4:16pm
post #6 of 11

You should never feel that you need to justify your pricing to anyone. You will forever encounter people who have champagne taste on a beer budget, and you just need to remind yourself that those people are not your clients, and that's ok!

costumeczar Posted 16 Apr 2015 , 4:38pm
post #7 of 11

Quote by @puddles_gal on 13 minutes ago

You should never feel that you need to justify your pricing to anyone. You will forever encounter people who have champagne taste on a beer budget, and you just need to remind yourself that those people are not your clients, and that's ok!

Exactly...There will always be people who can't afford your prices, and that's okay. I can't afford a Rolls Royce but somehow they manage to stay in business. As long as your pricing is set where you know it works for you, then it's right.

Maybe when someone emails you the first time you can send a cut and paste response that you personalize a little if needed. It could include a thank you for contacting you, then a quick overview of how you work. Like "thank you for your interest in working with me. I'll need some basic information before we can move ahead, so if you know the date, time, location and guest count for your event please let me know. I'll also need to have an idea about the style of cake that you're looking for. If you have any ideas about colors, themes, or photos that you'd like to send me please do. My base price for any cake is XXXX, which includes  basic decorations. The final price of your cake will be determined by the design and serving count, and starts at  XXXX per serving once the minimum is taken into account. Let me know if you need any more information."

Cakecrazy25 Posted 16 Apr 2015 , 4:51pm
post #8 of 11

Thanks ladies. Your comments and advice really helped me!!! :D

leah_s Posted 16 Apr 2015 , 8:55pm
post #9 of 11

"I'd love to partner with you on your event!  Before we get too far into the process of designing your custom cake, please know that my minimum order is $1,500,989,  Now, what is the theme of the event, how many people are expected, what's the color scheme?  Tell me all about it!"

Cakecrazy25 Posted 16 Apr 2015 , 8:59pm
post #10 of 11

@leah_s BINGOOOOO!!!!!! GENIUS. You should see my smile right now!!! I love it. 

Apti Posted 17 Apr 2015 , 1:43am
post #11 of 11

Quote by @costumeczar on 8 hours ago

Maybe when someone emails you the first time you can send a cut and paste response that you personalize a little if needed. It could include a thank you for contacting you, then a quick overview of how you work. Like "thank you for your interest in working with me. I'll need some basic information before we can move ahead, so if you know the date, time, location and guest count for your event please let me know. I'll also need to have an idea about the style of cake that you're looking for. If you have any ideas about colors, themes, or photos that you'd like to send me please do. My base price for any cake is XXXX, which includes  basic decorations. The final price of your cake will be determined by the design and serving count, and starts at  XXXX per serving once the minimum is taken into account. Let me know if you need any more information."

Love this. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%