Help, Support For Heavy Molding Chocolate Head

Decorating By Jessicasue2006 Updated 17 Apr 2015 , 3:38am by oftheeicing

Jessicasue2006 Posted 16 Apr 2015 , 12:54pm
post #1 of 5

I have been making a cake for my hubby's birthday and have ran into a problem. I'm makeing two shoulder up figurines using rice crispies and molding chocolate. I've gotten both heads finished and they are much more heavy than I had anticipated. Any ideas for support. I originally planned on setting them in front of the cake, now I think I will need to put them on top of the cake just so they have more support, but I'm scared of the dowels just ripping thru the cake.

any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

4 replies
Mexx Posted 16 Apr 2015 , 1:30pm
post #2 of 5

I've used bamboo skewers before.  They're not too thick and they have a nice pointy end.  One of two depending on how big your figure is should be fine.  They can be cut to length as well.  If the figure is not too big, I've used toothpicks as well.

oftheeicing Posted 16 Apr 2015 , 6:22pm
post #3 of 5

Gosh.... memories from 5 years past!  When attempting to build my very first fondant and modeling chocolate cake.... A Mickey Mouse Clubhouse for my son's first birthday, I made the mistake of making the entire ball of Mickey 's head out of modeling chocolate.  Talk about heavt :-)!  What I ended up doing so that the entire ball didn't slide through the single dowel that I planned on for support and risk crushing the small domed cake beneath was this:  

1.  Cut a piece of pvc pipe with a larger diameter to serve as my neck.  I cut it about an inch or two taller than my cake height, wrapped it in cling wrap and placed it through the center of the cake. 

2  Then, I sharpened 3 wooden dowels, a few inches longer than my pvc pipe (you just want to make sure that they're not taller than the height of the head once placed on, but long enough that your head doesn't fall off), and then I put the dowels in the center of the pvc pipe and drove them directly into my thick cardboard  base amd secured them together with some more modeling chocolate.

The head was supported by the dowels and ended up resting beautifully  on top of the pipe since it was slightly larger in diameter than the dowels.  

Thinga that I have learned since then:

1.  Do NOT, I repeat DO NOT attempt to cut a pvc pipe on a powered circular saw equipped with a wood-cutting blade, nor without safety goggles, and proper full-body armour!

2.  Never make a big head out of just modeling  chocolate.

I recently did a life-size sculpted bust and head of a zombie, followed the same pvc/dowel concept but used rice krispy treats for the head shape and then sculpted the features with modeling chocolate.   Hope this helps!  

Good luck to you!

oftheeicing Posted 17 Apr 2015 , 3:38am
post #5 of 5

K8Memphis, yes.... it is the greatest thing since sliced bread :-)

Quote by @%username% on %date%