Tasting Event, 600 Guests?

Business By Lwarmke79 Updated 18 Apr 2015 , 4:36pm by julia1812

Lwarmke79 Posted 16 Apr 2015 , 10:59am
post #1 of 14

Hi Everyone, I have seen others ask about something like this but I hope this question is a bit different.

I am doing my first event. It is a Taste of Somerset and expects 600 guests. It is a tasting event so bite size samples are requested. There will be no selling.

So I was planning on Two dummy cakes, and an assortment of bite size sweets, mini cupcakes, s'more homemade marshmallow bites, cake pops, and either cookies or cream pies. My question is Do I make 100 or so of each or do I make less selections and more of each?

My sister says keep is simple and offer 3 choices and tell them one each, but I feel like they are paying $75 for tickets, can't say take 1! I feel like I should be giving each person 2-3 bite size treats?!?!

Do this is my dilemma, What do you think? Have you done something like this before? it's purely to promote my business and show what I can do. What would you do?

Thanks in Advance!!!

13 replies
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 16 Apr 2015 , 11:58am
post #2 of 14

Are you being paid to do this? x

Lwarmke79 Posted 16 Apr 2015 , 12:06pm
post #3 of 14

No, this is a marketing event. About 40-50 restaurants and caterers are participating.

julia1812 Posted 16 Apr 2015 , 12:33pm
post #4 of 14

I would do the things you sell most. For sure three different ones. You could do just petit fours using your normally cake and icing/filling/ ganache recipes. They are easy to make if you do sheet cakes, ice, two or three layers, cut into 1" bite sizes, place in a mini cupcake liner, done. If you do three different cakes, three sheet cakes will be enough I think.

julia1812 Posted 16 Apr 2015 , 12:35pm
post #5 of 14

And you could even alter each batch by f.e. covering some in fondant or using poured fondant on half, which would make 6 out of three

Lwarmke79 Posted 16 Apr 2015 , 6:22pm
post #6 of 14

Doesn't really work for me as I don't make sheet cakes for sale. I make custom cakes and mini desserts. So I was trying to find out if I should go with variety of my sweets or pair down to 3 bites per person? 

That would mean I should make 500 of each offering??????

Is that right. 

johnson6ofus Posted 16 Apr 2015 , 6:38pm
post #7 of 14

Focus on what is in it for YOU. You are not there to feed people, you are there to promote your business to people who have $$ (Been to many of these). Even if you do not sell sheet cakes, it may be the easier way to present samples. The only difference between sheet cake and a custom cake is the baking pan and presentation--- the bite remains the same. You want people to leave knowing you can bake something yummy and hopefully buy from you later, no?

Decorating? That's the hard part because it would be soooo time consuming to decorate a bunch of minis.  So that is why the display is important. 

If you offer many things, everyone wants "one of each". I would only offer the best of my "one cheap thing" and my "one expensive thing". Like offering chicken and a shrimp. I would not offer lobster and shrimp.  Sheet cake, two layer, one square and cheesecake mini... for example. WASC with the raspberry filling is always a hit and presents nicely. 

-K8memphis Posted 16 Apr 2015 , 6:44pm
post #8 of 14

i have been to events like this and if there's 40-50 'other bites' out there and you have to serve 600 -- what is most effective to me is one dynamite unforgettable 1" square bite of _______ fill in the blank -- make it easy on your guests and yourself -- even if you're noted for your decor -- in a 'taste of' it's about a taste -- i still remember this lovely brownie bite and piece of wonderful bread i got ...

my son was a fine dining chef -- his motto is to leave them wanting more -- not that they're not full just that it was so exquisite they'd really like to just park at your booth but they get served the next course or they go to the next table and get the next bite still thinking about your sweet offereing --

and if you do want to do decor do beautiful simple blossoms on each slice of whatever -- make a sheet cake it's not going to kill you -- you need something to serve sharp and clean and efficient for the occassion

handling 1800 items to serve to 600 people is going to be quite a feat -- maybe you can box up in advance but you are going to be spending some money on this! that's why the smart people make it easy on themselves -- that's been my observation

Snowflakebunny23 Posted 17 Apr 2015 , 8:09am
post #9 of 14

I would say that the more variety you offer, the more people will try...so if you have 6 items, they will probably want to try 6 - so you will have to make even more for everyone and that is not going to be easy.  I am with everyone else, choose a couple of things, something pricier, something cheaper and maybe something in the middle and stick with those but make them look wicked and your stand look awesome.  You also have to think of practicality - will you have to keep replenishing eveything?  Are you going to have a stand helper to do this or will you have to do it yourself (which means less time talking to people).  Topping up the stand will dictate the decoration you can do.

I would also be very careful about costing everything out beforehand - it may be a marketing event, but unless you can say with a reasonable amount of certainly that you will make X back, you can easily go overboard and end up out of pocket...which kindof defeats the object.  Most importantly, you need to remember that the cost of their ticket is NOT your concern.  You are there to promote your business in a way which is practical and effective for you.  If it's marketing, I'm guessing you have paid to be there anyway.  Good luck x

Lwarmke79 Posted 17 Apr 2015 , 10:43am
post #10 of 14

Wow you last 3 posts really got it. Thank you so much! If i offer 6 they will wany 6. I think i will go some homemade marshmallows dipped in choc, mini cheesecakes and cake pops and 2 dummy cakes. 

I appreciate all your advice on this type of event,  i def have to cost everything  so I know if the work I get from this even will be worth doing it next year. 

That's  why I come here for info :)

Lwarmke79 Posted 18 Apr 2015 , 4:25pm
post #11 of 14

I have been convinced, I will stick to sheets cakes and  cake pops. Do I do a 3 layer sheet with choc, van, and red velvet or just one flavor?

What do you think?

julia1812 Posted 18 Apr 2015 , 4:31pm
post #12 of 14

I would stick to two. Maybe vanilla-chocolate -vanilla with some colorful filling?

julia1812 Posted 18 Apr 2015 , 4:34pm
post #13 of 14

Or do check board, that's looking more elaborate...

julia1812 Posted 18 Apr 2015 , 4:36pm
post #14 of 14

Chessboard I meant!

Quote by @%username% on %date%