Milkshake Straws To Support 3-Layer, 6-Inch Tier?

Decorating By denisek Updated 17 Apr 2015 , 9:48pm by kakeladi

denisek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denisek Posted 16 Apr 2015 , 6:03am
post #1 of 7

I am about to attempt my first two-tier cake. The bottom tier will be three layers, and 8 inches round. The top tier will be three layers, and 6 inches round. Will milkshake straws in the bottom tier be sufficient to support the top tier? Any tips on how to do this would be appreciated. Thank  you!

6 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 16 Apr 2015 , 9:31am
post #2 of 7

Yes, it will. Just make sure to cut them all down to the SAME size and apply some BC or ganache under the second tier.

I hear people sighing...screaming...no! Use a proper sps AND centre dowel!!!

LOL.

denisek Posted 16 Apr 2015 , 9:03pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks, Julia1812.

I should add that I will not be moving the cake. So I am not concerned about the top tier sliding off or shifting side to side. I just want to make sure the straws are strong enough to keep the weight of the top tier from sinking into the bottom tier.

Anyone else care to weigh in?

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 16 Apr 2015 , 9:17pm
post #4 of 7

Absolutely fine.  Those straws are stronger than wooden dowels because hollow cylinders hold more weight than skinny sticks.

I've supported 4 tiers using large bore straws without any problems whatsoever.

denisek Posted 16 Apr 2015 , 10:54pm
post #5 of 7

That is very reassuring! Thank  you!

How many straws would  you recommend I put in the 8" tier to support the 6"?

And does the cake need to be chilled (or anything else special) when I insert the straws? 

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 16 Apr 2015 , 11:02pm
post #6 of 7

The general rule is 1 large bore straws per 2" of cake being supported, so 3 would support the 6" just fine.  Mark where the cake will sit and then put  the 3 straws evenly spaced within that spot in a "V".

You don't have to insert them when the cake is chilled, but it can't hurt--the cake won't crumble around the holes that way.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Apr 2015 , 9:48pm
post #7 of 7

To support a 6" cake I use just 3 straws in a triangle form.  Straws are *VERY! strong* and will hold the weight of much larger cakes than a 6"er :)  I used them in my bakery for years and never had problems.  Most 6" tiers are rather light in weight so the 3 straws is plenty :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%