What Is This Decorating Tool (?) Called

Decorating By TurksandCaicos Updated 15 Apr 2015 , 8:23pm by TurksandCaicos

TurksandCaicos Posted 15 Apr 2015 , 7:01pm
post #1 of 7

See the acrylic arch in this picture with the child's name on it?  What is this tool/accessory called?  


I would like to possibly buy one for a cake I am working on but have no idea what to search for or ask for in a store. (I'm a newbie to the world of cake decorating.)

6 replies
ypierce82 Posted 15 Apr 2015 , 7:18pm
post #2 of 7

The arch with the name on it is not a tool. It is a 3mm piece of acrylic. You can order it online and have it cut to the size and shape that you want.

TurksandCaicos Posted 15 Apr 2015 , 7:42pm
post #3 of 7

Thank you!  That explains why I couldn't find anything like it when searching online for cake decorating accessories.  

I wonder if a place like Lowes sells/cuts these?  Would it have to be anchored in any why to the cake or could just slide into the cake?  I'm trying to figure out a way to get a name on a cake...

ypierce82 Posted 15 Apr 2015 , 7:46pm
post #4 of 7

You're welcome. I think Lowe's does sell acrylic sheets that can be cut, but don't quote me on that lol. I think that it would just slide into the cake and not need to be anchored. You could make a plaque with the name on it to stick on the cake itself, or buy some cutesy stickers to put on the acrylic.

TurksandCaicos Posted 15 Apr 2015 , 8:02pm
post #5 of 7

Just called Lowe's.  They will cut acrylic but the person I spoke with doesn't think they will do a curved cut.  He said it would have to be straight cuts only.  :(

ypierce82 Posted 15 Apr 2015 , 8:18pm
post #6 of 7

That sucks! There should be some places online where you could order it that sell it and will cut it for you.

TurksandCaicos Posted 15 Apr 2015 , 8:23pm
post #7 of 7

Problem is that I need it before it could get shipped to me, otherwise I would be all over that.  

Any suggestions for another cute way to put a name on a cake like that---to make it look like it is floating essentially?  I've toyed with the idea of cake pop sticks, skewers or even wire.....just looking to make something that looks cute for a child's cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%