Cake Lace - Lots Of Questions :)

Decorating By Lyoshka Updated 15 Apr 2015 , 4:39pm by Lyoshka

Lyoshka Posted 15 Apr 2015 , 2:07pm
post #1 of 10

About to try cake lace for the first time.  Will be making lace to cover the top of an 8" Ying Yang cake, a small border and will be making some butterflies.  Trying to figure out a few things..

1) once the cake lace is mixed and ready to use, how long does it last? Do i need to use it up right away?

2) a typical 200 gram container of cake lace goes how far, exactly?

3) I'm making Claire Bowman's butterflies (http://www.globalsugarart.com/beautiful-butterflies-large-silicone-lace-mat-by-claire-bowman-p-31663.html) and it says to make the butterflies stand alone, I need to mix standard mix with pearlized.  I'm guessing the mat will come with ratio instructions, but I'm debating whether i should buy the 200 g or 500 g of pearlized (already have the standard mix).  Anyone know?

4) can cake lace finished product be colored? For example, I want the lace on top of the cake to be silver (with a mint-colored fondant underneath), and my butterflies I want gold.  Can i make both pieces with white mix and then used luster dusts with lemon extract/vodka to color to a desired color? Or airbrush?

This is a super expensive product, so I want to not waste more of it than i have to.. if you can help with ANY of these questions or ANY OTHER insights, I'd be super, super thankful! thank you!!!

Lena

9 replies
-K8memphis Posted 15 Apr 2015 , 2:47pm
post #2 of 10

i've never used it but i watched a video by alan t on global sugar art and it would answer a lot if not all of your questions -- i think this is it

https://www.globalsugarart.com/video-tutorial.php?id=64

melbakescakes Posted 15 Apr 2015 , 3:24pm
post #3 of 10

Hi there, I have the claire bowman cake lace and have made it once.

i haven't used the plain white yet but my pearl container does NOT need to be mixed as in the paste inside is read to go. I think someone said you could get 20-30 mats out of a container? It goes a long way because you need so little. 

I dried mine in the oven, some mats took longer than others. For the butterflies it says to use pearl because the pearl dries stiffer than the plain white. I didn't try coloring mine afterwards, but you can just buy gold mix. 

I emailed someone once about how long it lasts, she said that after it is open it will last well into the due date and afterwards it doesn't really go bad but the consistency might be different.

melbakescakes Posted 15 Apr 2015 , 3:24pm
post #4 of 10

i haven't used the plain white yet but my pearl container does NOT need to be mixed as in the paste inside is read to go. I think someone said you could get 20-30 mats out of a container? It goes a long way because you need so little. 

I dried mine in the oven, some mats took longer than others. For the butterflies it says to use pearl because the pearl dries stiffer than the plain white. I didn't try coloring mine afterwards, but you can just buy gold mix. 

I emailed someone once about how long it lasts, she said that after it is open it will last well into the due date and afterwards it doesn't really go bad but the consistency might be different.

Lyoshka Posted 15 Apr 2015 , 3:32pm
post #5 of 10

Quote by @-K8memphis on 44 minutes ago

i've never used it but i watched a video by alan t on global sugar art and it would answer a lot if not all of your questions -- i think this is it

https://www.globalsugarart.com/video-tutorial.php?id=64

Thank you, k8! I watched it a long time ago and he goes over the technique, but not the technical stuff, I think.  Unless it's a different video.  I'll take a look! I'm sure youtube also has some videos.  thanks again :)

Lyoshka Posted 15 Apr 2015 , 3:45pm
post #6 of 10

Quote by @melbakescakes on 18 minutes ago

Thanks for that info! 20-30 mats per container is nice!!! Makes the sugar dress price sting less :)

I just opened my sugar dress that I bought a while ago.  Once you mix it, it lasts 7 days in the fridge.  But 500 grams will make quite a bit, I think.  I'll mix it in the small quantities the instructions detail (4 Tbsp of mix plus water and step 2 emulsifier) so I use it up right away.

I'm also wondering how to price it.  Obviously, lace is gorgeous and takes any cake to a new level.. and the supplies to make it are also very expensive... maybe I'll start another thread on it..

forjenns Posted 15 Apr 2015 , 3:52pm
post #7 of 10

I was recently playing with this as a friend bought it.  She showed me some she made and saved after her cake was done.  1 month later it was just a pliable and beautiful as day 1.  She kept in in parchment paper in a zip lock bag.  I made some at home, the mix is in my fridge right now and has been for 3 weeks or so.  I was going to try and use the last of it this week to see how it saved.  I understand you can color the mix so I am going to try that this time.  I LOVE this product!!!  I plan to make several sheets to take with me to Alaska for a wedding next month.

Lyoshka Posted 15 Apr 2015 , 4:12pm
post #8 of 10

Quote by @forjenns on 16 minutes ago

I was recently playing with this as a friend bought it.  She showed me some she made and saved after her cake was done.  1 month later it was just a pliable and beautiful as day 1.  She kept in in parchment paper in a zip lock bag.  I made some at home, the mix is in my fridge right now and has been for 3 weeks or so.  I was going to try and use the last of it this week to see how it saved.  I understand you can color the mix so I am going to try that this time.  I LOVE this product!!!  I plan to make several sheets to take with me to Alaska for a wedding next month.

Awesome! I love hearing all the positive feedback on the cake lace! Please let us know how the refrigerated mix performed for you, I'm very curious if 1 week is just a "suggestion" :)

Lyoshka Posted 15 Apr 2015 , 4:12pm
post #9 of 10

Now, I'm wondering... 

I have Sugar Dress (white) and want to make 3 D butterflies.  the instructions say that if you want to make butterflies 3D, you need to add pearlized mix to the standard mix.  I watched a video where they used the gold cake lace first, then did a second layer of white+pearlized, then set butterflies to dry.  So, I wonder if i can use the Sugar Dress with the pearlized Cake Lace? Different brands, but essentially same stuff, right? Anyone know?

Lyoshka Posted 15 Apr 2015 , 4:39pm
post #10 of 10

spam reported :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%