Wedding Cake Structure

Decorating By Reneekraus Updated 15 Apr 2015 , 2:18pm by Reneekraus

Reneekraus Posted 14 Apr 2015 , 6:51pm
post #1 of 4

I'm making my first wedding cake on April 24th, and I'm looking for advice on the structure.  

It will be a stacked 14" rosette buttercream, a 12" fondant, a 10" fondant and an 8" fondant.  My question being.........Can I use normal cardboard cake boards with wooden dowel rods, or because of the weight, should I get the plastic cake boards that have the spots marked for the hollow plastic supports that go into each of the cakes?

3 replies
costumeczar Posted 14 Apr 2015 , 8:57pm
post #2 of 4

I personally use corrugated plastic cake boards and wooden dowels for every tiered cake. There are systems that people will swear by, so it depends on what you like. But I wouldn't use plain cardboard rounds because they can absorb moisture from the cake and soften up. You might want to get the plastic wilton plates and hidden pillars that can go through the cake and you can cut them to the height of the cake, and then it will be really secure.

kakeladi Posted 14 Apr 2015 , 10:56pm
post #3 of 4

I did all my cakes on cardboard *cake rounds* - NOT cardboard rounds I cut myself.  I hope that's what you expect to use - cake rounds.  I cannot recall even one problem of a board absorbing moisture and causing problems.  Yes, they do absorb some moisture but I cannot recall it ever causing problems.   Using the plastic boards is probably a good idea if you can easily get them.

Using wood doweling can give the cake immediately around that dowel an off taste :(  You can eliminate that by using plastic drink straws either by themselves or sheathing the wood dowel with them.   Again, nothing wrong with the hollow plastic dowels except they take away some of your cake - make a BIG hole :(

Reneekraus Posted 15 Apr 2015 , 2:18pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks so much Kakeladi.   I am talking about the cardboard cake rounds................and could see where the wood would give it that "wood taste".........I cannot eat a popsicle on a wooden stick for that same reason - i think the entire thing tastes like wood! hahahaha.  

I do have the plastic cake boards and hollow plastic dowels that will attach into those - so I think I'm pretty sold on using those now!  Thanks again so much!   Nerves are hitting me right about now for this wedding cake.  Not so much that I can't do it - I'm afraid of setting it up and having an issue then. hehe.  

Thanks so much!  ;)

Quote by @%username% on %date%