What Would You Charge For This Cake?

Decorating By KsCakes09 Updated 16 Apr 2015 , 4:05pm by -K8memphis

KsCakes09 Posted 14 Apr 2015 , 3:18pm
post #1 of 15

Need help with pricing out this cake.  What is the going rate for fondant covered cakes?  Also not sure how to price out each Figure since I would probably take more time than a more experienced decorator so I can't really charge by the hour.  Can anyone suggest or know what the average cost of figures similar to those in the photo would be.  Thanks!!

**ONLY making the bottom 2 tiers of the cake in the photo   

14 replies
KsCakes09 Posted 14 Apr 2015 , 3:23pm
post #2 of 15

Forgot to include:   its for 50 servings

KsCakes09 Posted 14 Apr 2015 , 10:32pm
post #3 of 15

anyone have suggestions. PLEASE!

Bogginboy Posted 14 Apr 2015 , 10:36pm
post #4 of 15

i wouldn't know im only an amateur but there are pricing guides on pinterest if that helps any

kakeladi Posted 14 Apr 2015 , 10:41pm
post #5 of 15

Pricing depends on sooooo many different factors the *MOST IMPORTANT* one being one CANNOT sell Disney themed cakes! 

The other factors to consider when pricing cakes would be your location; are you capable of such an intense design; do you bake scratch or mix are just a few of them; what are your investment costs (ALL supplies, ingredients used such as fondant, coloring, board(s), boxes; actual baking supplies be it mix or flour, sugar etc to create the cake alone) and how long it takes to create your masterpieces.

Magic Mouthfuls Posted 14 Apr 2015 , 11:20pm
post #6 of 15

That's one very detailed cake - I would guess it might take 30 hours to make.  So cost of ingredients + materials + utilities + hourly rate.  In Australia, I would charge $600-$800 for that for 50 serves or $12-$15 per serve.  

To gauge the market in your area you are best to check out websites of your local cake decorators.  Many offer a pricing guide - it helps to weed out the time wasted quoting to people who think a $300 cake will cost $25.  They have helpful guides, like "fondant cakes start at $xxx).  That would be their cheapest price based on economies of scale ie 100-200 serves.  So use that information to formulate your own pricing guides.

For figurines, there are many people who sell fondant figurines on Etsy.  Checking out the various listings gives you a good indication of what the market price for figurines is (even if they can knock one out in a hour and it takes you 5 hours).  

The best rule I learnt so far in business - is, if I get sick, injured, or whatever and need to pay someone to make that cake on my behalf, or buy ready-made elements, what will they charge me.  No they wont want to work for $2 hour to the wee hours of the morning, so neither should I quote like that is the going rate.

KsCakes09 Posted 15 Apr 2015 , 7:27pm
post #7 of 15

WOW! 30 hours?  I was not planning for that, that's for sure. I have confidence I can do something very similar but it will take a lot of time, but wasn't thinking 30 hours.  Are you talking baking & decorating?   I've never had a cake with quite this many figures on it & your right, they always take longer to make than you think.  I am a home baker and I usually don't charge what I should, I think because I don't have an actual "Shop" I can't charge as much as bakeries do.    Most bakeries in my area don't offer cakes this detailed or at least they don't advertise on their website.  The price guidelines they list are very vague ("custom cakes are priced on an individual basis") so its very hard to figure it out where to start. 

Pastrybaglady Posted 15 Apr 2015 , 7:40pm
post #8 of 15

I think Magic Mouthfuls is right on target with the 30 hour assessment.  If you are making the fondant you also have to count the time it will take to mix all those colors, that alone will take quite a bit of time.  There is so much fondant detail, 30 hours might be a conservative estimate.  You should definitely find out their budget.  They probably look at it and think, "That's probably pretty expensive... maybe $90?" Ha!  Cake civilians have NO idea!

KsCakes09 Posted 15 Apr 2015 , 7:56pm
post #9 of 15

Yes I do make all my own fondant & your right the coloring of it for each detail/figure always takes some time.  I guess I'd like to know what is a good base fondant cake price?  I was originally thinking $4.50/serv.  then add $10 per figure. Again I guess I'm not charging enough.   Thanks for all your helpful info   :)

-K8memphis Posted 15 Apr 2015 , 11:29pm
post #10 of 15

i'm seeing that a little different the list totals maybe 4 hours for modeling -- then add time for coloring the fondant but these are all primary type colors not elaborate mixing -- you can buy these colors pre-mixed -- you gotta bake the cake and cover with fondant -- 

and i think the times i list below are generous but i think this is close to realistic -- pipe the windshield on the car when you have the royal ready for the snow blobs

• 1/2 hour                     2 lanterns & a car
  • 1/4 hour                     candy canes, christmas lights (made at different times)
  • 1/2  hour                    4-5 trees
  • 1/4 hour                     doorway, window
  • 1/4 hour                     3 presents, 2 signs
  • 1/2 hour                     21 snowflakes
  • 1 1/2 hours                4 figurines
  • 1/4 hour                      royal icing snow blob borders

i mean you might need to put a few details like the windshield on the car after it sets up some snow on the trees but a certain amount of time is allowed for  decor anyhow

Pastrybaglady Posted 15 Apr 2015 , 11:52pm
post #11 of 15

You must be some kind of modeling speed demon Kate!  There is no way I could model 4 figures in 1 1/2 hours!  I made one hiking guy with a backpack in an evening - remember us slow poke home bakers!  Plus we're only seeing the front.

-K8memphis Posted 16 Apr 2015 , 12:08am
post #12 of 15

yes of course, pbl -- but it's another perspective -- not that either way is right nor are they the only two ways to do it -- for the back i would make/add more presents & candy canes, a window or two -- the 21 snowflakes would go all the way around -- i wouldn't use any figurines back there maybe a tree -- but break it all down -- think in terms of sausages and balls -- easy peasy -- they are not super detailed designs --

KsCakes09 Posted 16 Apr 2015 , 2:15am
post #13 of 15

k8memphis-  what would you charge per figure?  I don't have a supply of premade fondant.  I make homemade MMF & color as needed. Its too costly to buy all different colors of premade fondant to use just for decorations here & there.

-K8memphis Posted 16 Apr 2015 , 11:13am
post #14 of 15

I would charge for 2-3 hours of additional work on this cake -- because i have an hour or two decorating time built into my price per serving anyhow --

the reason i mentioned pre-colored fondant is because it makes the job quicker and saves your hands - all the choices are up to you - but this is another reason why the average home caker doesn't compete with the average pro -- just the way it is

-K8memphis Posted 16 Apr 2015 , 4:05pm
post #15 of 15

then again the above average home caker comes up with some doozies sometimes that a pro would never want/get to sell because the cost for the client is too high and the time is too much --

so it definitely goes both ways

Quote by @%username% on %date%