Keeping Cakes Fresh

Baking By LibbieWaddleton Updated 16 Apr 2015 , 12:55am by bakingfordozens

LibbieWaddleton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LibbieWaddleton Posted 14 Apr 2015 , 12:41pm
post #1 of 6
On the 30th May I am doing a surprise birthday party for my mum and we have potentially up to 80 people turning up (more likely 50)

I am planning to bake her cake the weekend before, now i know she loves a fruit cake but i'm planning on doing a 14 inch square so that will take so long to bake it will be untrue.

She loves a lemon drizzle cake and also chocolate and coffee and possibly even carrot

Has anyone got any tips for keeping this kind of fruity light sponge fresh for a week? I'm planning a two tier cake so she gets two flavours.

Also any tips for not burning such a large cake.....
5 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 14 Apr 2015 , 4:45pm
post #2 of 6

What do you want to bake it all in one tin? If you fill it, you can decide the recipe into 2 or three portions and bake every individual layer separately.

I personally find a week quite long (unless you mean a real fruit cake, which you soak in alcohol etc for weeks or months). Yes, some people bake a week in advance, but I would then rather freeze it.

LibbieWaddleton Posted 15 Apr 2015 , 6:48am
post #3 of 6

Unfortunately I have to bake it a week in advance as I won't have time to bake an decorate it after that due to work.

Plus I have to transport it.

I've been given some great tips so should be ok

post #4 of 6

Unfortunately I have to bake it a week in advance as I won't have time to bake an decorate it after that due to work.

post #5 of 6

bakingfordozens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingfordozens Posted 16 Apr 2015 , 12:55am
post #6 of 6

As far as my experience goes, cakes are absolutely divine after baked and decorated for five days. After that the begin to decline majorly in flavor, moistness, etc. That being said, you could make the cakes decorate it, then freeze it. Pull it out the day before to let it thaw and you should be fine. If any moisture remains on the cake after it has thawed, you can use a paper towel or a hairdryer on LOW heat to dry.

Personally, I freeze all my cakes, then decorate them, I don't usually freeze a fully decorated cake, but sometimes you gotta do, what ya gotta do.

Hope this helps! :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%