How To Draw/paint On Cake Pops?

Decorating By SweetShop5 Updated 21 Feb 2016 , 11:14pm by maybenot

SweetShop5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetShop5 Posted 13 Apr 2015 , 10:20pm
post #1 of 11

I have previously tried to draw on cake pops using food markers, and it didn't work at all. Then I decided to try and paint on them using Americolor, and it doesn't stay on the cake pop. Am I missing something?

I would really like to make these cheetah print cake pops: http://data1.whicdn.com/images/12986839/original.jpg but I'm not sure what to do since both of these methods don't work.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Much appreciated!

10 replies
lisatipperoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisatipperoo Posted 14 Apr 2015 , 1:49am
post #2 of 11

I think I know how they did it- color dust plus vodka- enough vodka added to the dust in a dish to make a paste. Then brush on. They may have only done this with the black- the pink may have been simply brushed on with dry brush. I haven't tried this myself- just something I thought of. :-) 

SweetShop5 Posted 14 Apr 2015 , 11:16am
post #3 of 11

Quote by @lisatipperoo on 9 hours ago

I think I know how they did it- color dust plus vodka- enough vodka added to the dust in a dish to make a paste. Then brush on. They may have only done this with the black- the pink may have been simply brushed on with dry brush. I haven't tried this myself- just something I thought of. :-) 

Ohh thanks! I never thought of that, I'll give it a try!

virago Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
virago Posted 14 Apr 2015 , 4:53pm
post #4 of 11

mystery solved...see steps 16-17,

I've perused your profile and gallery...VERY IMPRESSIVE! congrats on a budding career!!! 

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 15 Apr 2015 , 4:01am
post #5 of 11

Anyone try adding fondant decorations (spots) while chocolate is wet?

johnson6ofus Posted 15 Apr 2015 , 4:02am
post #6 of 11

johnson6ofus Posted 15 Apr 2015 , 4:02am
post #7 of 11

SweetShop5 Posted 15 Apr 2015 , 11:42am
post #8 of 11

Quote by @johnson6ofus on 7 hours ago

I haven't put decorations on when the cake pop is wet, I feel like that would be dangerous cause cake pops are so delicate. I usually stick my decorations on either using gum glue or some candy melts after the cake pop is dry.

Quote by @virago on 18 hours ago

mystery solved...see steps 16-17, http://toriejayne.com/recipe/gluten-free-leopard-print-cake-pops

having tried a number of experiments myself to 'paint' on cake pops, I have to wonder whether torie's  method of painting would ever dry (especially the black)

in respects to your tries, did you use a food marker specifically designed for candy/chocolate? plus, not all markers are created equal. Wilton scores low (looooowwwww)...AmeriColor seems the most recommended. here's a good discussion on the matter, http://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/727194/help-edible-pen-issues

it's possible to do this design another way...you can 'paint' with pink/black melted candy/chocolate. term 'paint' is a misnomer; you're really just 'dabbing' the melted candy/chocolate onto the cake pop. fast forward to 09:25 in this video for demo,

I've perused your profile and gallery...VERY IMPRESSIVE! congrats on a budding career!!! 

AH! Thank you so much!!! This is just what I was looking for, and thank you for the wonderful compliment :)

TheresaCarol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheresaCarol Posted 15 Apr 2015 , 12:25pm
post #9 of 11

I put most of my decorations on when wet.  You must make sure all the extra chocolate has dripped off or they will slide.  The key is to make the fondant as thin as possible so the weight of the decoration does not distort the pop.  Depending on what I am adding, I may wait until the chocolate is almost dull before adding the decoration.

dgonzalez227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dgonzalez227 Posted 21 Feb 2016 , 9:37pm
post #10 of 11

Rainbow dust paint it !!

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 21 Feb 2016 , 11:14pm
post #11 of 11

If you mix[ EDIBLE [FDA certified] petal or luster dust with thinned confectioner's glaze [dilute the glaze with very high proof clear spirits like Everclear or vodka], you will get a paint that will adhere to set-up chocolate surface.  You can make the paint as thick or as thin as you like.  You can mix small amounts in a plastic palette lined with a bit of saran wrap for easy clean up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%