Brownie Wedding Cake

Baking By onecakelady Updated 14 Apr 2015 , 11:53am by onecakelady

onecakelady Posted 13 Apr 2015 , 8:42pm
post #1 of 22

Has anyone ever made a tiered brownie wedding cake?

21 replies
-K8memphis Posted 13 Apr 2015 , 10:06pm
post #2 of 22

i made one with brownie + cheesecake in each tier

onecakelady Posted 13 Apr 2015 , 10:15pm
post #3 of 22

I have never made one would you like to share your recipe?

-K8memphis Posted 13 Apr 2015 , 10:40pm
post #4 of 22

it was 10 years ago and i don't remember exactly -- i tend to make things up as i go -- probably was something like this -- recipe from jeri dry & alix engel's "cookiemania" -- paraphrased so no copyright issues

• 4 oz unsweetened chocolate
  • 1 cup butter (2 sticks)

melt gently and set aside, then place

• 4 eggs

in the mixer and beat for several minutes then add

• 2 cups sugar
  • 1 cup sifted flour
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 t. baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon of vanilla

beat well for several more minutes

9" greased pan, 325 degrees 35- 45 minutes until set when knife inserted in center comes out clean

-K8memphis Posted 13 Apr 2015 , 10:48pm
post #5 of 22

i made enough of that for a quarter sheet and a half sheet -- the tier cake was rectangles -- i baked off the brownies -- then i poured cheesecake batter on top of that and baked that off -- the brownies are fudgie and rich -- no problem double baking it --

then for the other layer which must have been the top layer so the cheesecake part was encased in brownie on the bottom and cake on the top -- i needed a heavier cake to match up with the density of the bbcc --

i did a cake mix doctor melted ice cream cake -- chocolate cake mix and melted chocolate ice cream

onecakelady Posted 13 Apr 2015 , 10:52pm
post #6 of 22

Thank you K8memphis, so this recipe only makes 1 - 9" layer is that correct?  Did you combine layers of cheesecake with the brownie cake for each tier and did you do stacked construction?  What, if anything did you cover the cake with?

-K8memphis Posted 13 Apr 2015 , 11:02pm
post #7 of 22

iced with hershey perfectly perfect chocolate icing

yes the recipe makes one deep thick 9" brownie

the brownie bottom cheesecake was one layer the melted ice cream cake was the other layer in each tier 

melted ice cream cake layer

hershey chocolate icing

brownie bottom cheesecake layer

^^^1/4 sheet^^^

melted ice cream cake layer

hershey chocolate icing

brownie bottom cheesecake layer

^^^1/2 sheet^^^

yes stacked construction

onecakelady Posted 13 Apr 2015 , 11:12pm
post #8 of 22

Sounds wonderful, my bride wants fondant covering, do you think if I did double layers of the brownie cake filled with chocolate ganache and covered it with buttercream then the fondant it would be ok?

-K8memphis Posted 13 Apr 2015 , 11:14pm
post #9 of 22

however if i was gonna make a brownie wedding cake i'd use cake brownies not fudge brownies -- paraphrased from "cookiemania"

combine the following in a small saucepan

• 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup oil
  • 1 cup water
  • 4 tablespoons cocoa

bring that mixture to a boil and add it to the following

• 2 cups flour
  • 2 cups sugar

beat until smooth then add

• 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla

mix well --grease & flour 9x13 pan bake 20 mins 350 degrees

-K8memphis Posted 13 Apr 2015 , 11:20pm
post #10 of 22

what i recommend is that you make each recipe -- make a half or quarter recipe of each one and see which one does best for you -- the fudge recipe is nearly impossible to slice & serve as one would want to serve a wedding cake -- 

onecakelady Posted 13 Apr 2015 , 11:30pm
post #11 of 22

Sounds like a good idea, my only concern would be that the cake brownie might not be dense enough for the weight of the fondant. You have been very helpful,  thanks so much.

-K8memphis Posted 13 Apr 2015 , 11:43pm
post #12 of 22

oh sure it will (be heavy enough) cake brownies are not light -- you don't want the mooshiness of fudge brownies to squosh out either plus you really need to have a degree like a phd to cut & serve those efficiently for a big party -- you want the plates to look pretty -- just be sure they have plenty of towels and metal spatulas to scrub the excess off the knives and something to scrape the excess off into

the freezer will be your friend assembling this --

best to you

onecakelady Posted 13 Apr 2015 , 11:56pm
post #13 of 22

Does the cake mix doctor and melted ice cream cake recipe bake up more fudge like or more cake like?

-K8memphis Posted 14 Apr 2015 , 12:07am
post #14 of 22

it's it's own texture -- very attractive and if you use fudge cake mix and fudge ice cream -- doesn't get any better --

watch your ingredients -- some ice creams have more air than volume so be sure you get 16 oz melted and of course cake mixes are lighter now -- so just weigh it or measure it -- you basically want to add one fifth of one mix to make it -- 

would love to hear about what you decide and how it goes -- best brownie goodness to you

onecakelady Posted 14 Apr 2015 , 12:14am
post #15 of 22

Thanks so much for allowing me to pick your brains, I will let you know what I decide.

yortma Posted 14 Apr 2015 , 1:00am
post #16 of 22

This is a brownie recipe that I really like and use a lot.  It is very chocolately and moist, but not wet.  It is from an old out of print Hershey's cook book.  I have made small layer cakes, and individual cakes (see photo) by making sheet pans, frosting, chilling, and cutting out with a circle cutter.  Cuts very cleanly.  I wouldn't think there would be a problem covering with fondant, because it is sturdier than usual white or chocolate cake.  Easy to make - no mixer needed.  It only makes an 8" square, so multiply as needed. 

yortma Posted 14 Apr 2015 , 1:02am
post #17 of 22

Didn't print photo or recipe, sorry!

onecakelady Posted 14 Apr 2015 , 1:09am
post #18 of 22

Thank you for the information, sorry I don't see any picture. You mentioned that you have made smaller layer cakes, what sizes have you made, is it a double layer 8" or single layer?

onecakelady Posted 14 Apr 2015 , 2:07am
post #19 of 22

Would love to see the photo and picture, yortma.

onecakelady Posted 14 Apr 2015 , 2:09am
post #20 of 22

Sorry meant recipe and photo. Thanks

yortma Posted 14 Apr 2015 , 4:13am
post #21 of 22

Chocolate Chip Brownies

1/2 cup all purpose flour

1/4 tsp baking soda

1/4 tsp salt

1 cup semisweet chocolate chips (I like mini)

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter

1 cup sugar

2 eggs

1 tsp vanilla

1/3 cup Dutch process (I use Hershey's special dark) cocoa powder

grease and flour 9" round or 8" square pan.  line bottoms with parchment.  Mix dry ingredients and chocolate chips.  Melt butter and stir in sugar, eggs, and vanilla.  Mix, add cocoa, mix well.  Stir into flour and chocolate chips just until combined.  Bake  350º (325 º convection) 25 - 20 minutes until tester comes out slightly sticky.  

onecakelady Posted 14 Apr 2015 , 11:53am
post #22 of 22

Those look great and sound delicious, thanks so much for sharing yortma! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%