Wafer Toppers Are They Any Good?

Decorating By holster Updated 14 Apr 2015 , 8:36pm by costumeczar

holster Posted 13 Apr 2015 , 7:54pm
post #1 of 4

Hi I was looking around for something sugar free to decorate my cakes with as I am making diabetic cakes and I came across a seller on amazon that was selling some wafer cake decorations and was just wondering if they are good or not. They look like they would be good for the kids as they seem to come in all shapes and sizes. I have posted a link below of what I am talking about incase anyone is wondering.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/node/index.html?ie=UTF8&marketplaceID=A1F83G8C2ARO7P&me=AHDYXEQEXHIDF&merchant=AHDYXEQEXHIDF&redirect=true

3 replies
costumeczar Posted 14 Apr 2015 , 2:20am
post #2 of 4

I sell wafer paper items in my shop, and they're definitely sugar-free. They don't taste good, though, it's not that they taste bad, they just don't have much of a flavor at all. They'll soften up if you leave them on icing for any length of time because it absorbs the oils and moisture from the icing. They're a good choice for diabetic cakes, they don't add any sugar to the decor and they're easy and fast to use.

The basic wafer paper is made from potato starch, vegetable oil and water, then the food colors that they print them with. so no sugar added. 

holster Posted 14 Apr 2015 , 7:09am
post #3 of 4

Thanks for the reply cost I have heard other people saying that they don't taste very good but this seller that I found says that it is vanilla flavoured have you had any experience with this type of wafer? It would be good if people like the taste but if not they look good and are still edible if people want to :P

costumeczar Posted 14 Apr 2015 , 8:36pm
post #4 of 4

yeah, I've seen where people say that they brush vanilla flavoring onto the paper to flavor it, but that isn't going to make it taste good. It will make it taste like gummy vanilla-flavored starch. They're not really meant to taste good, they're meant to be decorative. When you attach wafer paper to fondant you use corn syrup or piping gel, so it's going to taste sweet because of that. I put them on cookies that had icing on them, and they just tasted like the icing, but the icing is so sweet it's going to overwhelm the flavor of the wafer paper, which isn't really much of anything.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%