Pricing Fondant Decorations

Business By Wendy M Updated 19 Apr 2015 , 7:09pm by ammcats

Wendy M Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendy M Posted 13 Apr 2015 , 5:07pm
post #1 of 4

Does anyone have advice on pricing fondant cupcake toppers, flowers like rose buds, large and small roses, daisies etc. Do you price per item to come up with your total. Just curious. I have a base rate for cupcakes and cakes.  I just need an idea of how much more to charge for fondant decorations. Thanks

3 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 Apr 2015 , 2:50am
post #2 of 4

For fondant flowers price them about the same as fresh would be at a florist shop.  toppers are a bit harder to figure.  How long does it take you to make just one?  Maybe price those using an hourly rate.  If it takes you 15 minutes to make one the price it 1/4th of whatever you think an hourly wage should be.  But.....you also have to take into consideration how much the ingredients/fondant costs including the coloring etc used added in. 

When I had my bakery I did not charge extra for fondant.  Do you charge extra for b'cream decorations?  Do you sell UNdecorated cakes?  Of course not you sell a cake based on how long - how much work -it takes to complete it including all decorations. 

When you go to a resturant do you pay for each separate item making up your meal?  Most likely not - you pay for the entire entree'.  (Not one price for the vegetables, one for the meat, one for the gravy etc)  To me it should be the same for a cake.  People will bulk at ordering if you tell them "the base price is $XXX, one flower is another $XX, a figure is $XX for a total of $XXX" - see what I mean?  

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 19 Apr 2015 , 4:09pm
post #3 of 4

Take a look at etsy, they have tons of fondant toppers for sale.  It will give you a price range to work with and add that onto your regular cupcake price.

ammcats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ammcats Posted 19 Apr 2015 , 7:09pm
post #4 of 4

Quote by @kakeladi

When you go to a resturant do you pay for each separate item making up your meal?  Most likely not - you pay for the entire entree'.  (Not one price for the vegetables, one for the meat, one for the gravy etc)  To me it should be the same for a cake.   

I have to agree with you kakeladi, but unfortunately down here in New Zealand that is becoming the norm.  You go to a restaurant and order your protein, and then you pay extra for your vegetables or salads to go with it.  Whatever happened to the days of going "out for a meal"  not going out for portions of a meal. :(

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%