Fondant Toppers For Cupcakes

Baking By AgBaker Updated 16 Apr 2015 , 4:15am by julia1812

AgBaker Posted 13 Apr 2015 , 4:32pm
post #1 of 7

I am planning my sisters baby shower and a doing the fondant toppers for the first time.  We have to leave for the party at 9:00 am (to start decorating the venue).  I am making vanilla cupcakes with a fruit filling and iced with SMBC.  I will be filling and icing the cupcakes the night before and will keep them in the fridge.  So my question is:

When should I place the fondant topper?-If I place it the night before and leave it in fridge-it will get all wonky.

But if I place it in the morning-wont it slide off the crusted icing?

Sorry if it sounds silly-but it is my first time and I am just trying to plan everything ahead so I do not have a mess in my hands on the day of the event.  Thank you!!

6 replies
AgBaker Posted 14 Apr 2015 , 8:56pm
post #2 of 7

costumeczar Posted 14 Apr 2015 , 8:59pm
post #3 of 7

When you say fondant topper, are you just making a disc of fondant with a picture on it, or is it an actual item made out of fondant? I'd just put them on when the icing is soft. The perils of refrigeration and fondant are greatly exaggerated.

GoWildCakes Posted 14 Apr 2015 , 9:27pm
post #4 of 7

SMBC doesn't crust.  I would apply the toppers at the venue when you deliver

AgBaker Posted 16 Apr 2015 , 1:23am
post #5 of 7

okay thank you all!!

bikemom3 Posted 16 Apr 2015 , 2:00am
post #6 of 7

I refrigerate my fondant cakes and cupcakes all the time

julia1812 Posted 16 Apr 2015 , 4:15am
post #7 of 7

I wouldn't refrigerate the cupcakes at all. You bake and frost them the day before, right? They will be fine the next day. Fondant toppers on -done!

Quote by @%username% on %date%