Why Does My Rich's Bettercream Get Hard After It Sets?

Decorating By zinger60 Updated 13 Apr 2015 , 1:27am by CindiM

zinger60 Posted 12 Apr 2015 , 7:25pm
post #1 of 3

I have bought Rich's Bettercream in the liquid form and whipped it up myself.  I love the creamy texture of it after it's whipped but I have tried it on a couple cakes and was surprised at what happened after the cakes were frosted.  I know that cakes can be left out up to 5 days using the Bettercream.  I had my cakes sitting out maybe 2 days and when I went to cut them, the frosting was not creamy like whipped cream anymore.  It was harder and did not taste creamy at all.  The shell border I made on one of them, when I cut the  cake, it was hard enough that I could actually pick up one of the shells and it did not change it's shape.  It was stiff.  Also, if I have leftover Bettercream and put it in a covered bowl, the longer it sits, the stiffer it gets.  I don't overbeat it so I know that's not the problem.  Has anyone else had this happen? 

2 replies
cakemaker61 Posted 13 Apr 2015 , 1:07am
post #2 of 3

I have used Rich's Bettercreme in the past but found that it does get funky, especially if it's over whipped.  I remember after piping borders, I had to take it out of the piping bag and re-fill it again to keep it creamy.  I never let it sit out after frosting a cake but instead it went into the frig until delivery.  I know it tastes good and alot of people liked it, but it got to be such a pain in the you know what that I quit using it and just use buttercream now.

CindiM Posted 13 Apr 2015 , 1:27am
post #3 of 3

I find if I whip it less, it stays softer.  If I Whip it stiff, it stays stiff and gets stiffer as it dries out.   We use it every day for fillings in some of our cupcakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%