Royal Icing Snowflakes

Decorating By Jlg645 Updated 8 Sep 2015 , 1:17pm by Jlg645

Jlg645 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jlg645 Posted 12 Apr 2015 , 3:48pm
post #1 of 9

I am making a Frozen themed cake and want to put royal icing snowflakes on it.  My first batch of snowflakes were too brittle, even after drying for three days on waxed paper.  I used a #4 tip to pipe.   It is Northern Michigan and not real humid here.  My question is:  what will make the frosting stronger?  Will real egg whites work better than egg white powder?  (I used egg white powder)  Also, I did read a tutorial where the person who posted said she beats only at a level 2 (medium low) to not incorporate too much air (kind of makes sense!).  Has anyone tried this technique?  I usually beat the royal icing on high for 5-10 min until stiff but am willing to try the lower speed to  avoid the incorporation of air.   Also, would adding a bit more egg white powder or additional egg whites help?  (I used 5T powder to 1# sugar plus cream of tartar).  Thoughts and help would be greatly appreciated!!  I want to wow this little girl!  

8 replies
Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 12 Apr 2015 , 4:15pm
post #2 of 9

Definitely mix on low and I use that amount of meringue powder for 2lbs of powdered sugar.  With piping that fine they will be extremely delicate.  I made the below with white chocolate.

Snowflake cupcakes

Jlg645 Posted 12 Apr 2015 , 5:39pm
post #3 of 9

White chocolate!  What a great idea!  The picture of the cake I am making tha I found on Goofle images looks like the snowflakes are royal icing, but I may just give the white chocolate a try!  May I ask what size tip you used??  Thank you!

Jlg645 Posted 12 Apr 2015 , 5:39pm
post #4 of 9

Google images.  (can't type, apparently!!)

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Apr 2015 , 8:55pm
post #5 of 9

perfect, pbl, because then they melt just like the real deal and pretty cupcakes too

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 12 Apr 2015 , 9:17pm
post #6 of 9

Sorry, I probably used a paper cone because I find the metal tips make the chocolate cool too fast and I get clogs.  I did the chocolate in the first place because the order got picked up the night before so I thought better to go with something moisture proof.

Thanks Kate, I got the snowflake pattern from CC.

Jlg645 Posted 25 May 2015 , 2:14am
post #7 of 9

Thank you for the assistance with my snowflakes. I did use Wilton's Bright White chocolate, which tasted amazing!!  I wasn't able to do final assembly at the party location, pictured below, so it looks like a snowflake broke during transportation. Additionally, the final top curved snowflake looks like a part broke as well. This piece was was put on by the grandma and dad of the the birthday girl as I was at my daughter's college graduation.   Had I been there I would have replaced it with one of the three backup toppers I sent!!  LOL.   All in all, considering I'm not a professional and I do cakes as a hobby for friends and family, I'd say it turned out pretty well!  Again, thank you for the advice.  I had fun learning new techniques on this project.    JLG

Jlg645 Posted 25 May 2015 , 2:16am
post #8 of 9
Jlg645 Posted 8 Sep 2015 , 1:17pm
post #9 of 9

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%