How I Do This With Royal Icing?

Decorating By cakefort Updated 13 Apr 2015 , 1:39pm by virago

cakefort Posted 12 Apr 2015 , 2:03pm
post #1 of 12

How do I create this division in the royal icing so that it isn't necessary to pipe the outline of the cap? It looks like maybe toothpick was dragged between the top and bottom of the cap...or maybe they were outlined to have gap in the middle??

11 replies
cakefort Posted 12 Apr 2015 , 2:04pm
post #2 of 12

Ugh. My picture didn't come through.

cakefort Posted 12 Apr 2015 , 2:06pm
post #3 of 12
cakefort Posted 12 Apr 2015 , 2:09pm
post #4 of 12

Okay, I haven't been on here in years and the site has changed so I'm obviously not doing well with the current layout.

Here is a link to the  cookie

Jen80 Posted 12 Apr 2015 , 2:15pm
post #5 of 12

The cookie has been decorated in fondant, cakefort.  Looks like two separate pieces. 

cakefort Posted 12 Apr 2015 , 2:49pm
post #6 of 12

Oh. Well that makes sense. And if I actually READ instead of just looking at pretty pictures,  I wouldn't have had to bother everyone. Oops!

Thanks, Jen!!

virago Posted 12 Apr 2015 , 2:53pm
post #7 of 12

to do it in royal icing, outline and flood one area (maybe the skull-cap first), wait for the icing to crust over, then outline and flood the other area (the square board). 

every cookie except the butterfly in this set was done this way... cute-critters 

or you could outline-flood two separated areas leaving a bare line of between the skull-cap and square board. 

cakefort Posted 12 Apr 2015 , 2:58pm
post #8 of 12

Adorable cookies, Virago! So you are saying that by outlining each section individually after one has dried, it creates a distinction between the two areas, even though they are the same color?

MBalaska Posted 12 Apr 2015 , 7:21pm
post #9 of 12

Quote by @virago on 4 hours ago

to do it in royal icing, outline and flood one area (maybe the skull-cap first), wait for the icing to crust over, then outline and flood the other area (the square board). 

every cookie except the butterfly in this set was done this way... cute-critters 

or you could outline-flood two separated areas leaving a bare line of between the skull-cap and square board. 

@virago   those cookies are wonderful!  what a fun plate of decorated cookies.  Yes, Cakefort that's exactly how it's done and now you have a perfect example of how it looks.

I've only done this method once and it was in the corn syrup glaze icing but you can the sections are poofed up & separated with glaze also but not as distinctly as with royal icing.

cakefort Posted 12 Apr 2015 , 7:57pm
post #10 of 12

Wonderful. Thanks to both of you!!

virago Posted 13 Apr 2015 , 1:31pm
post #11 of 12

Quote by @cakefort on 22 hours ago

Adorable cookies, Virago! So you are saying that by outlining each section individually after one has dried, it creates a distinction between the two areas, even though they are the same color?

yep! exactly!

virago Posted 13 Apr 2015 , 1:39pm
post #12 of 12

Quote by @MBalaska on 18 hours ago

Quote by @virago on 4 hours ago

@virago   those cookies are wonderful!  what a fun plate of decorated cookies.  Yes, Cakefort that's exactly how it's done and now you have a perfect example of how it looks.

I've only done this method once and it was in the corn syrup glaze icing but you can the sections are poofed up & separated with glaze also but not as distinctly as with royal icing.

thanks @MBalaska  for the cookie compliment! and extra thanks for both covering the reply to OP's follow-up question and adding the mention about the glaze! thank you for 'tagging' me out!   smilie of Double Thumbs Up Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%