New To A Area And Was To Egger For A Customer

Business By toshascc Updated 16 Apr 2015 , 5:40am by toshascc

toshascc Posted 12 Apr 2015 , 6:41am
post #1 of 14

Hello,

im a home baker and my husband is in the coast guard which makes having a cake business really hard. I have been trying to get my name out for four months now, i even did a baby shower cake as a gift for a coastie wife. So i had cards made and i finally got a call! she asked for a full sheet cake which I've never done on such i large scale, she mentioned she could go to a local grocery store for $55 and said she needs a quote right than so i told her i can match the price. i than got a steady flow of details she wants included right down to a color palate and font.  the whole order was full sheet cake 18x24 chocolate with vanilla butter cream and chocolate mousse. she sent a photo of the baby shower invite and asked me sketch out exactly what was on the card which is very detailed with animals and trees 

now i have people calling she told about and are demanding the same prices... i lost $25 if not more on this cake. what do i do?

13 replies
johnson6ofus Posted 12 Apr 2015 , 7:32am
post #2 of 14

Quote by @toshascc on 46 minutes ago

demanding the same prices... 

??? Ha! NO one demands anything of me. Answer, "I am sorry- that will just not be possible." Many here have learned giving a quick price can bite you in the butt. And you lose $$$ and time. 

Yes.... all the cheap cake buyers will swarm you if they smell a deal. Heck, you ought to see me on Black Friday! Doesn't mean I want to be the one losing $$$.

CHOICES?

-Develop a fair price, that makes you enough profit to be worth your time and expenses.

- Just say no

-Go work elsewhere for less pressure and responsibility

Gingerlocks Posted 12 Apr 2015 , 3:57pm
post #3 of 14

I think you are just going to have to tell these people that you discounted a cake for this other woman.."and this $xx is the actual price" that's all you really can do. Discounting cakes, even once is bad idea for the reason's you are describing..everyone comes a'knocking for the cheep cakes. It's hard not to give into the pressure to give a quick quote on the phone because you don't want to loose the sale, but you have to stick to your guns. I give all quotes via email, no matter what. That way everything is in writing and there's no confusion; I understand the pressure to get that sale but you'll have to find a way to say 'hold on I will get back to you in a hour', or you'll be paying people to take your cakes forever. 

toshascc Posted 12 Apr 2015 , 4:20pm
post #4 of 14

yea I'm going to call this a lesson learned, thank you for your replies 

johnson6ofus Posted 12 Apr 2015 , 5:35pm
post #5 of 14

We all have learned some lessons the hard way. All we can do is try to avoid it the next time. <HUGS>

tamimisha Posted 12 Apr 2015 , 5:43pm
post #6 of 14

Whenever I give a deal to a close friend or family member I tell them up front not to tell everyone the price because they got the "loved ones" discount...

Pastrybaglady Posted 13 Apr 2015 , 6:56am
post #7 of 14

Please, please tell us you didn't agree to any of these "demanding" people!  You're not a retail store than must honor a posted price.  Please search some pricing threads and practice telling people, "I'm sorry, that was a one time deal. I have since come to my senses and the price of a sheet cake is - fill in realistic price -"  Treat yourself well and don't take any guff!

toshascc Posted 14 Apr 2015 , 5:33am
post #8 of 14

No I started telling people it was a promotional price and my price for a full sheet is $89 (which is still a super good price) I've been hung up on and yelled at but hey I can't work my butt off and money.

julia1812 Posted 14 Apr 2015 , 5:56am
post #9 of 14

Ask yourself WHY she didn't order from the grocery store anyway?

That's really cheeky of her to pressure you like that!

If people sense you are desperate they take advantage of you...unfortunately!

Wonder if those people also walk into a Chanel shop pointing out that a handbag at the supermarket only cost 5$???

Gingerlocks Posted 14 Apr 2015 , 2:16pm
post #10 of 14

Quote by @toshascc on 8 hours ago

No I started telling people it was a promotional price and my price for a full sheet is $89 (which is still a super good price) I've been hung up on and yelled at but hey I can't work my butt off and money.

What the heck?! Talk about temper-tantrum! Those people arn't your customers anyways; they are solely price driven and will haggle you to exhaustion on every single detail.  

toshascc Posted 14 Apr 2015 , 3:23pm
post #11 of 14

Lmbo thanks you guys, I'm new to the area and its a very extremely small community. So maybe it because I'm the new person 

Pastrybaglady Posted 14 Apr 2015 , 4:30pm
post #12 of 14

Cake bullies!

Pastrybaglady Posted 14 Apr 2015 , 4:50pm
post #13 of 14

If they give you that "Well I can get this at blah blah for $50" business you just say, "Wow, that's a great deal!  I'd go with that!"  Then they'll say something about, "But I don't really like the taste...".  Then you say, "Then if you want MY cake you have to pay MY price."

toshascc Posted 16 Apr 2015 , 5:40am
post #14 of 14

Lol very true! I guess they had 130 people and everyone was raving about how good it was, so hopefully I won people over that way

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%