Moist Cake Recipe

Baking By Newcaker2213 Updated 13 Apr 2015 , 1:17am by cakemaker61

Newcaker2213 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Newcaker2213 Posted 11 Apr 2015 , 4:26pm
post #1 of 4

My mother-in-law made the best moist cakes with a "doctored cake" recipe using cake mix and pudding.  Her cake recipe is lost and she is no longer able to share her recipe.    Can anyone share his recipe or any other suggestions for a moist cake using a cake mix and pudding?  Thank you!

3 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Apr 2015 , 4:39pm
post #2 of 4

after i post this i will try & find the recipe but my comment is this -- whatever layer cake you bake consider adding a flavored simple syrup 'splash' to the baked cake before you assemble it into the final product -- it's just equal parts sugar and water boiled till it's clear when the sugar has dissolved and then if you want you can add a flavor when it cools off -- vanilla almond any kind of liqueur liquour -- my default is grand marnier and that one i add about 1 pt gm to 3 pts ss --

i'll see if i can find that recipe but i'm sitting outside enjoying this gorgeous day and the screen is hard to see from the warm and beautiful SUNshine...the birds are singing and the dogs are barking --- hahahah great day here

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Apr 2015 , 4:43pm
post #3 of 4

oh wait -- after the cakesa re baked you brush or squirt the ss onto the layers -- easy peasy -- you don't soak them you just enhance the cake with it -- adds nice moisture and of course you don't want to overbake

whoa dang the mouse pad has gotten really hot too :)

cakemaker61 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemaker61 Posted 13 Apr 2015 , 1:17am
post #4 of 4

I use either PIllsbury or Betty Crocker cake mixes and there's already pudding in the mix so no need to ad more.  I've had very good results and comments from my customers.  With the white cakes, I use the whole eggs instead of just the whites and after they've only cooled about 15min. in the pan, they get trimmed, turned out and double wrapped in plastic and put in the freezer.  This helps retain their moisture also.  If I'm making Red Velvet using a cake mix, I use milk with a little vinegar in it (kind of like homemade buttermilk) instead of water that's stated in the recipe.  Makes it so much better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%