Can You Stack Chiffon Cakes?

Baking By wooton Updated 13 Apr 2015 , 6:58am by wooton

wooton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wooton Posted 11 Apr 2015 , 8:53am
post #1 of 5

I'm  making a 3 tiered naked wedding cake soon, sizes 6/8/10, and really want to use a chiffon cake but am not sure if it can hold up to the stacking.  Does anyone have experience stacking chiffon cakes?

4 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 11 Apr 2015 , 4:58pm
post #2 of 5

I am not sure what a chiffon cake is since all these terms are still unfamiliar for me in English

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 11 Apr 2015 , 5:00pm
post #3 of 5

Anyway, as far as I know it's a cake where you use oil instead of butter and in order to cooperate air bubbles you beat the egg whites to meringue stage and fold them in. Is that what you mean?

Those where actually the first cakes I learned to make... They are very airy and light and certainly more delicate to handle. If you can build them up to 4" without collapsing I would say staging isn't an issue, because the weight of the other tiers rest on the support system / dowels.

I prefer making the butter meringue version, but that's more flavor related.

What I do is wrapping them in cling film when they are still warm and let them cool on the counter. That way they stay moist and don't get as crumbly. The worst part is torting them and if I want 3 or even 4 layers, I always use these aluminium sheets (sorry, can't remember the name) to lift them up, otherwise they brake apart.

But once filled and everything they are stable enough for more layers to be added.

Juds2323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds2323 Posted 12 Apr 2015 , 4:23am
post #4 of 5

Stacking the cake is all about the support.  The cakes themselves don't support the weight the supports do.  If you dowel and plate it correctly the dowels hold the weight.  I don't think there should be an issue.

Judi 

wooton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wooton Posted 13 Apr 2015 , 6:58am
post #5 of 5

Thanks for the replies!  I have a pretty heavy filling compared to the chiffon cake so I think I'm going to go with a sponge cake.  I was worried about it being dry but I found this interesting sponge cake recipe that's supposed to be moist, but light and still able to hold structure.  I found it all over CC forums so I'm thinking it'll be great!  https://www.howtocookthat.net/public_html/sponge-cake-recipe/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%