Fondant Is Tearing

Decorating By tami07 Updated 12 Apr 2015 , 3:04pm by tami07

tami07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tami07 Posted 11 Apr 2015 , 12:42am
post #1 of 4

Hi, I am a home baker and I mostly just make cakes for my nieces and nephews bdays, etc.  Well, I tried this marshmallow fondant recipe that I got off a fb group I am in.  Well, I am in the middle of making this 4 tier cake for my nieces 16th bday party tomorrow and when i hold up the fondant it is sooooooo soft and just tears.  Is there any way I can come back from this or any tips on how to safe it.  I just don't know what to do with it. thanks so much in advance.

Tami

3 replies
Magic Mouthfuls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magic Mouthfuls Posted 11 Apr 2015 , 1:45am
post #2 of 4

Maybe you could add powdered sugar or cornflour (cornstarch) to your fondant to stiffen it up a bit.

You could also roll your fondant on a flexible mat, vinyl or baking paper, lift the whole lot onto your cake top, then upturn and peel away the mat/paper.  Ie - using a method that does not involve rolling it up onto your rolling pin and not lifting fondant with the forearms.  

When using a super soft fondant I find "The Mat" by SweetWise the most valuable tool I ever purchased.

KellyKSD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellyKSD Posted 11 Apr 2015 , 3:28am
post #3 of 4

Hi, Tami -

Sorry you are having so much trouble. I'm not sure if this will help you for this cake, but are you trying to use the fondant right after making it? I use marshmallow fondant all the time, but I have learned that it really needs to rest overnight (or at least a few hours) before trying to use it. I think the marshmallows are just too warm and soft right away after it's made, and it really needs time to cool completely. 

If you have already let it rest and it's still giving you problems, then I would go with the previous suggestion of adding more powdered sugar or cornstarch. 

Good luck!

tami07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tami07 Posted 12 Apr 2015 , 3:04pm
post #4 of 4

Thank yall for your advice and help!  I ended up putting more powdered sugar with it and rolling it after i put it back int the fridge for a bit.  I also added a bit of gum paste to the mix. :)  I also put the fondant right back into the fridge each time i tore a chunk off to cover a layer.  that way it wasn't sitting out while i was trying to roll and cover each layer.  I love this site and yall were very helpful and saved the party :) 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%