Crusting Buttercream Or Non-Crusting Buttercream Under Fondant

Decorating By Reneekraus Updated 12 Apr 2015 , 10:34pm by Reneekraus

Reneekraus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reneekraus Posted 10 Apr 2015 , 2:52pm
post #1 of 6

I'm doing my first wedding cake this month, and I'm planning on using crusting buttercream icing under the fondant.    Has anybody had any experience one way or another of using crusting vs. non-crusting.........Does one work any better than the other?  I would appreciate any thoughts or experiences on this...........Thank you.  :)

5 replies
Magic Mouthfuls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magic Mouthfuls Posted 11 Apr 2015 , 2:13am
post #2 of 6

I've used both - both work fine and both need to be chilled before laying the fondant.  

I use SMBC and Ganache exclusively now under fondant - I dont like the grainy texture of ABC.  

Reneekraus Posted 11 Apr 2015 , 3:54pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks so much!!!! I'm using ganache for filling and was going to use ABC on the outside and then the fondant.... Would you use all ganache instead??? And then chill and put your fondant on? 

Magic Mouthfuls Posted 11 Apr 2015 , 10:17pm
post #4 of 6

If ganache is the best match for your flavour of cake then definately use that as both the filling and the icing under the fondant.

Magic Mouthfuls Posted 11 Apr 2015 , 10:21pm
post #5 of 6

If this is the same cake you are travelling with from Denver to Cincinnati (I assume these are cold climate cities in USA) then ganache will travel exceptionally well - particularly dark chocolate ganache.  It will handle the cosy air plane temperature really well - under fondant it will easily handle up to 90F, maybe more.

Reneekraus Posted 12 Apr 2015 , 10:34pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you! It's not the one going to Denver, but that may be a great option for the Denver cake as well! :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%