Webake2gether Posted 10 Apr 2015 , 3:19pm
post #2 of 13

Sorry the photo didn't post so here is the link 

http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3336288/easter-cake

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Apr 2015 , 3:27pm
post #3 of 13

What size is it?

And what's up with the "raw" cardboard that's pretty obviously been handcut?

Webake2gether Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Webake2gether Posted 10 Apr 2015 , 3:40pm
post #4 of 13

8" stacked and we made it for ourselves it wasn't going to anyone. We bought a large amount of cake boards and they weren't all coated unfortunately :( So we use those when we are practicing cakes which we do a lot because we are very new to this. This was our 6th cake we've done 

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 10 Apr 2015 , 3:50pm
post #5 of 13

How Much Should I Charge for Home Baked Foods?

http://www.culinaryone.com/how-much-should-i-charge-for-home-baked-foods/    

http://www.docakes.com/PricingCakes.html        

Read the two excellent articles above and you'll see that an anonymous cake forum can't provide meaningful pricing advice--too many variables.

The cake itself looks flawless, but I agree with the post above that the non-greaseproof "raw" cardboard round detracts from the appearance of the cake because you can see the grease from the buttercream soaking into the cardboard.  You should do some research on scalloped gold or silver, greaseproof cake boards.

Webake2gether Posted 10 Apr 2015 , 4:00pm
post #6 of 13

Oh trust me we would NEVER send this to someone I would never work that hard on something to let the board look like that. When we bought them my husband didn't realize what exactly he was getting I've used grease proof before and now I am very careful when purchasing cake boards. Here is the first cupcake cake I did so I am familiar with the boards my husband was not :(

http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3336292/elsa-cupcake-cake

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Apr 2015 , 4:39pm
post #7 of 13

it's adorable -- i would charge my basic 8" cake price

can i offer you some advice? "here take my advice i'm not using it" hahaha

if you want to up your game snazzen up the sides of the cake with vines and leaves and flowers or maybe some bunny footprints  climbing up the side -- embellish the borders maybe sprinkle some egg shaped confetti around the bottom or pipe some easter eggs on the sides -- make the top border smaller just use a smaller star tip to show a difference --

if he's supposed to be stuck in the hole his legs should be 'in motion' looking a little frantic -- or you could enlarge the green grass around the 'hole' and put some black or chocolate icing in there there to show it's a hole and add a few spring flowers/blossoms -- the eggs could dribble out of the hole and a few more spring flowers up on the top -- if you do the footprints you could put some 'egg crumbs' along the path -- you could put his hand reaching out the other side of the cake grasping just above a pile of eggs pilled up on the board --

then you could upcharge for the bunny like $5 $10 or more but as is the decor is basic so the time and fondant it takes to make him would be covered in the base price of the cake

best to you

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Apr 2015 , 4:41pm
post #8 of 13

also i think it's very cool you guys bake together -- my husband and i do more like that now too -- he will gather ingredients and fix pans but it's more me baking and him doing dishes -- which works great!

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 10 Apr 2015 , 4:41pm
post #9 of 13

All of the components of your cake are really good: smooth icing, good piping, good scale, nice colors, really clean!  The components of pricing are the size of the cake and how many servings you will get out of it.  Use the Wilton serving guide.  You will want to know the cost of your ingredients and supplies and overhead expenses, the time you put into making the cake as well as the comparable market price for your area and how many others are selling custom cakes near you.  Once you know all of these things you will know whether it's worthwhile to sell where you are, sometimes it's not.  You obviously have talent and skills but that may not be enough if there are home bakers on every corner. Quality doesn't always rule the day unfortunately, but if it did you'd be doing great!

Pastrybaglady Posted 10 Apr 2015 , 4:50pm
post #10 of 13

Here'ere' s a little something to help!

http://bakecalc.com/

Webake2gether Posted 10 Apr 2015 , 4:55pm
post #11 of 13

Thanks everyone!! I jokingly tell my husband "I make them taste good you make them pretty" :) We actually split up the work most times and it is awesome to work together. Pastrybaglady you are very right our area is over saturated with "home bakers" who are unlicensed and not inspected and they really hurt the prices in our area. However for us we want to be licensed and inspected before we sell anything. I think in my area there is only a handful of licensed bakers (if that) who do custom cakes. It's definitely scary to take the next step but we are going to continue to practice and grow our skills while we work on the commercial grade kitchen. Thank you for your compliments and advice we can use any that others are willing to share. We are newbies to cakes but I've been doing sugar cookies hand piped for a few years. I'll upload some pictures soon if you want 

Pastrybaglady Posted 10 Apr 2015 , 5:02pm
post #12 of 13

It's refreshing that you're doing all your homework and getting everything in place BEFORE you sell!  How wonderful that you can work together well.  So who has to was he dishes? :)

Webake2gether Posted 10 Apr 2015 , 5:14pm
post #13 of 13

Haha......well I'm the clean up lady as well and he is a messy decorator lol. In his defense I like to clean up so as long as the dishes make it to the sink area I don't mind :)

We do bake for friends and family so that's awesome we at least get some feedback and we also have a facebook page where we do drawings and give away some of our products (which is totally fine I have clearance from our health department for that). So we know there will be a market for our goodies because we turn away people constantly because one cake isn't worth losing our chance to do it in the future. We have some fairly strict ordinances where I live so best to follow the rules :)

Here is our facebook page and you can check out what we've done so far and how our cakes have improved..

www.facebook.com/bodinesbakingcompany

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%