Leveling A Cake After Frosting

Decorating By Dr_Hfuhruhurr Updated 10 Apr 2015 , 5:28pm by cakeemewithyou

Dr_Hfuhruhurr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dr_Hfuhruhurr Posted 10 Apr 2015 , 2:33pm
post #1 of 5

Hi folks,

I'm curious if anyone has developed a method to quickly level the top of a cake after frosting. I always level and tort my layer cakes, but getting the top to be level after frosting is my Achilles heel. I'm aware of and have used the upside-down method, and it's great, but sometimes I need to frost a cake really quickly and I don't have time to stick it in the fridge to let it harden.

It occurs to me that it might be possible to frost it extra high and then use a cake leveler, but I'm not sure it would work. Does anyone have any advice or tips for getting a crisp, level top on a freshly-iced cake (without taking any time to pop it in the fridge to harden)?

Thanks!

4 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Apr 2015 , 3:30pm
post #2 of 5

Yep.   Agbay works for that.

Dr_Hfuhruhurr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dr_Hfuhruhurr Posted 10 Apr 2015 , 4:57pm
post #3 of 5

Awesome, thanks. I don't have an Agbay, but I can rig something up that might work.

jgdorothy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgdorothy Posted 10 Apr 2015 , 5:20pm
post #4 of 5

I would encourage you to spend the $$$ and invest in an Agbay leveler. It will pay for itself in a very short period of time. After struggling for years (literally - I've been decorating cakes for over 30 years), and trying knives and two other levelers from a well-known source, I gave in and purchased the Agbay. It made an immediate difference in my cakes and I have used the original blade for over 5 years. Still sharp as a razor.

cakeemewithyou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeemewithyou Posted 10 Apr 2015 , 5:28pm
post #5 of 5

I am lusting after the Agbay. Be still my beating heart! lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%