Thawing Cakes For A Distant Wedding

Baking By juliewiens Updated 13 Jun 2015 , 6:19pm by cakemaker61

juliewiens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juliewiens Posted 10 Apr 2015 , 2:26pm
post #1 of 4

I am going to be making 100 cupcakes and a small cake for a wedding that I will have to drive to. I will likely leave in the morning, drive 4-5 hours and be at the location. The wedding will be the next day in the afternoon. My plan was to wrap cupcakes in saran wrap, then in foil and have that bagged in a zip lock.

Do I need to keep them in a cooler (try to keep frozen) for the trip? Or do I just let them thaw on the way?

Will I need to unwrap them before I leave or just when I get there?

What do I do about the overnight? I don't want them to dry out overnight.

I had planned to frost them day of the wedding.

Seems so complicated. I would love advice.

Thanks!

3 replies
cakemaker61 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemaker61 Posted 13 Apr 2015 , 1:29am
post #2 of 4

I bake cupcakes ahead of time and keep them in ziplock bags in the freezer.  The day before the event, they come out and get arranged in their bakery boxes (use cake cardboards with a layer of paper towels over them on the bottom of the boxes) Place the frozen cupcakes in the boxes and the boxes in white (unscented) garbage bags.  When you get to your destination, frost them and if possible keep them in the frig in their boxes until it's time to arrange for the wedding.   Usually, after my frozen cupcakes are placed in the boxes, I frost them right away and then they're put in the frig until delivery the next day.

juliewiens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juliewiens Posted 13 Jun 2015 , 6:08pm
post #3 of 4

Thank you cakemaker61! The wedding is next week and I am busily making the cupcakes. I got the bakery boxes. Since I will be traveling to the destination the day before the wedding, I will pull them out the day we leave and I think frost them the morning of the wedding. I'm concerned about them drying out. Any recommendations. I can keep them in the fridge before the wedding. How early should i pull them out of the fridge before the wedding.

Thanks again,

Julie

cakemaker61 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemaker61 Posted 13 Jun 2015 , 6:19pm
post #4 of 4

I would take them out of the freezer, arrange them in the boxes, put each box into a white garbage bag and keep them in the frig until you leave.  Keep your A/C on in the car.  When you get there, put them back into the frig. just like they are and next morning, frost them as planned.  They can go back into the frig until it's time for setting them up.  I usually set up a couple hours before the wedding.  They should be fine.  Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%