Alpine Hi Ratio Shortening

Decorating By mrsmac888 Updated 11 Apr 2015 , 1:37pm by WeezyS

mrsmac888 Posted 8 Apr 2015 , 8:21pm
post #1 of 8

I've been using CK Hi-Ratio shortening for a year or so and am quite happy with it.  It is the only hi ratio shortening available to me locally and is $15 for 3 lbs.  Ouch!  So, I'm in the market for a new shortening.  From what I've read on CC, Alpine is a highly suggested brand because it holds up better in summer months.  Does anyone buy Alpine online in small batches, like 3 to 5 pounds?  I really don't think I can use 50 pounds in one year.  I also don't have someone to share with.  Has anyone ordered from  I seem to remember awhile back someone stated they had some trouble with that site.

Thanks in advance!
Stay Sweet!!

7 replies
mrsmac888 Posted 8 Apr 2015 , 8:37pm
post #3 of 8

Craftybanana:  I saw that on Amazon but was not sure if it was the same Alpine shortening.  Maybe just different packaging?  When I searched for Alpine, this is the product I assumed everyone on CC talks about...

mrsmac888 Posted 9 Apr 2015 , 2:57pm
post #4 of 8

Anyone else out there with an opinion about Alpine Hi Ratio shortening?  Good, better, best?  Where to buy online?  Is it the same stuff that Amazon sells?

BWLbyJ Posted 10 Apr 2015 , 2:45am
post #5 of 8

Newbie here so please forgive me if this question is stupid.....

Can someone tell me the difference between Hi-Ratio Shortening and Crisco?

goodvibrations Posted 10 Apr 2015 , 5:38am
post #6 of 8

Hi-Ratio stands up better to heat and/or humidity, makes a smoother and whiter buttercream. Can anyone tell me what the difference is in Alpine and Alpine Z.

mrsmac888 Posted 10 Apr 2015 , 1:01pm
post #7 of 8

Goodvibrations,  A few of the hi ratio shortenings have a Z included on their tub.  It stands for Zero trans fat.

WeezyS Posted 11 Apr 2015 , 1:37pm
post #8 of 8

I use this all the time, works great and is a good price.  Fast shipping too. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%