Do You Have To Be An Artist To Become A Good Cake Decorator?

Decorating By harleyboo Updated 9 Apr 2015 , 1:51am by Norasmom2

harleyboo Posted 8 Apr 2015 , 7:47pm
post #1 of 5

So I used to draw a lot when i was younger, nothing really good but as i got older i stopped. I now want to take it up to become a cake decorator as a position just opened up at my work. But I wanted to know if i needed to more art skills to do this?

I have been trying to learn some techniques at work but most of the cake decorators dont have time to teach me or usually laugh at what i do. Should i stop trying or just keep on practicing? I also feel like i may be to old to learn and pick this up. Im 26 and have never really touched a cake until i started working here 1 year ago.

thanks 

4 replies
rooneygirl Posted 8 Apr 2015 , 7:58pm
post #2 of 5

you have to try to practice on your own if you can and practice makes perfect. I have to artistic background and really didn't think I had any skills in art until i discovered cake artistry.   I can't draw to save my life but I can sculpt pretty well and this is something I discovered only after I tried it on cakes.  I wouldn't attempt to paint on a cake - I just know that is not something I am comfortable with- you just have to know your limits as an artist and either try to improve what you are not good at or focus on what you know you can excel at.  Not every cake artist is good at all genres of cake artistry. You'll find your niche as you practice more.  Your co-workers may not have time to help you but the internet has endless amounts of free tutorials that can help you get a good start on your skills. Good luck!  

remnant3333 Posted 8 Apr 2015 , 8:20pm
post #3 of 5

You can also look on you tube and type in buttercream borders, buttercream flowers, buttercream roses, icing flowers, cake decorating. They will show you how to set up the icing tips, how to hold icing tip, which tip to use then you need to practice at home doing cakes. You can practice on top of wax paper with frosting doing borders and flowers.  this helped me a whole lot. I know you can do it. Don't give up but keep practicing!!! 

MKC Posted 8 Apr 2015 , 9:00pm
post #4 of 5

You can try to understand why some cakes are beautiful and some are awful. Observe and draw your own rules. 

I have my own rules for every cake:

- always a little bit of sparkle

- no more than 3 colours (complementary colours)

- always a fondant covered cake board.

- clean lines (straight edges, no powdered sugar on fondant, etc.).

Norasmom2 Posted 9 Apr 2015 , 1:51am
post #5 of 5

Practice!  Most of the decorators on this website are self-taught.  I am by no means an artist, but I am able to sculpt and with practice I get better each time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%