Persistent Air Bubbles !

Baking By Cali6422 Updated 13 Apr 2015 , 5:52pm by wooton

Cali6422 Posted 8 Apr 2015 , 6:09pm
post #1 of 8

Hi everyone.  New poster here … but I’ve lurked (and learned) for a while.  I have tried doing a search for an answer to my dilemma but, thus far, I have not found anything that works.

My problem:  I suffer from air pockets in any cake mixes I use.  Vanilla cakes seem to have larger air pockets than other flavors, but they all end up with them.  Not just tiny air bubbles … large noticeable bubbles.

I have tried:  Mixing as little as possible (only until ingredients are incorporated).  I have tried running a knife thru the batter.  I have tried rapping / dropping pans on the counter.  I have tried baking strips.  I have tried adjustments to baking temperature.  I have tried sifting the flour.  I have tried several different brands of mix.  I have tried mixing double batches. Everything tried still yields the same annoying end result AIR BUBBLES.  Arrrgh.

In short, I’m at my wits end.  While it does not change the taste, the appearance really irritates me.  I don't have this problem with my scratch baking. Just the boxed cake mixes. (And sometimes I really do want the convenience of a quick mix that I just doctor a bit.)  I have used mixes for years and only started having this issue in about the last 12 to 18 months. 

Does anyone have suggestions on what else I might try?

7 replies
Cali6422 Posted 13 Apr 2015 , 5:33pm
post #2 of 8

Wow ... Everyone else is stumped too! lol

rassi Posted 13 Apr 2015 , 5:40pm
post #3 of 8

Hello, I had that problem the few times I used box mixes.  Please check the expiration date on the box.  It has something to do with the leaveners in the mix.  I am baking from scratch now and do not have that problem anymore.

Hope it helps.

wooton Posted 13 Apr 2015 , 5:42pm
post #4 of 8

Hmm, do you mix your batter with a paddle or a whip?  A paddle would be more appropriate for cake batter as a whip attachment would incorporate more air.  

mark78_fd Posted 13 Apr 2015 , 5:43pm
post #5 of 8

Have you tried changing your cake mixes? Sometimes it depends on the brand of the cake mix you use, or you could buy the same brand from a different supplier because rather old cake mixes tend to bubble out a little since the ingredients used aren't as fresh as before.

Cantina Restaurant

mark78_fd Posted 13 Apr 2015 , 5:43pm
post #6 of 8

Have you tried changing your cake mixes? Sometimes it depends on the brand of the cake mix you use, or you could buy the same brand from a different supplier because rather old cake mixes tend to bubble out a little since the ingredients used aren't as fresh as before.

Cantina Restaurant

Cali6422 Posted 13 Apr 2015 , 5:50pm
post #7 of 8

**Slap myself on the forehead moment**  Since I've always bought mixes close to when I'd be using them, I'd never even looked at the expiration dates!  Perhaps the supplier doesn't turn their inventory as quickly as I'd think!  Going to look at that option.  Thanks for the suggestion on that.

Wooton ... Yes, I use the paddle attachment, and mix at a slower speed than directions state..

Thank you all for the suggestions !!  I'm giving this one more shot before I just turn the corner to all from-scratch baking.

wooton Posted 13 Apr 2015 , 5:52pm
post #8 of 8

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%