Coloring Candy/chocolate

Sugar Work By KarenOR Updated 27 Apr 2015 , 6:45pm by fdusing

KarenOR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenOR Posted 8 Apr 2015 , 4:35pm
post #1 of 7

I hope this is the right place for this question.

I am hoping to make something like these http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2014/05/edible-crayon-and-paint-splattered-chocolate-bars-by-unelefante/ for my daughter's art themed Bat Mitzvah in august. 

I've done some candy work with melts but not tons.  I've used Wilton candy colors.  Is there something better?  

Thanks! 

6 replies
KarenOR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenOR Posted 8 Apr 2015 , 4:47pm
post #2 of 7

I was just reading about FLo Coat.   Have people had success with that?  As you can see, I really need to create more of a thin paint consistency. 

I have a million colors of Americolor already, so if this worked, it would be perfect.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 8 Apr 2015 , 11:36pm
post #3 of 7

Just look for candy food colors for chocolate.

Magic Mouthfuls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magic Mouthfuls Posted 9 Apr 2015 , 7:43am
post #4 of 7

CK and Merkens are alternative brands for candy melts.  Fresh is best - old stuff just doesnt melt properly.  I find buying "super white" is great, then I can colour small batches to my heart's content.  

Alternatively, buy good quality couverture white chocolate (the one with cocoa butter not vegetable oils) and colour that.

Colour using candy colour / chocolate colour only.  It is oil based.  CandyMaster and Americolour offer good products.  Or use chocolate/candy coloured powders (add before melting, but its a pain).  FloCoat is a product which you can add to your usual gel colours (water based) to get them ready before adding to the chocolate/candy melt so that it doesn't sieze.  I've never used it, but a mild vegetable oil (ie canola, cottonseed) does a similar job.  Use a ratio of say 1 tablespoon oil to 1 drop or less of colour.

BakeMiaCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeMiaCake Posted 13 Apr 2015 , 7:16pm
post #5 of 7

I use almond bark.  You can thin it a little with shortening.    And I use chefmaster candy colors.  I like chefmaster the best

writersblock15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
writersblock15 Posted 16 Apr 2015 , 5:57pm
post #6 of 7

The colors in the link you posted look like they were made from colored cocoa butter.  You can buy colored cocoa butter online.  http://www.chocoley.com/list/colorful-cocoa-butter

fdusing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fdusing Posted 27 Apr 2015 , 6:45pm
post #7 of 7

I use Wilton candy melts with their Easy thins.  Best products for melting chocolate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%