Coloring Candy/chocolate

Sugar Work By KarenOR Updated 27 Apr 2015 , 6:45pm by fdusing

KarenOR Posted 8 Apr 2015 , 4:35pm
post #1 of 7

I hope this is the right place for this question.

I am hoping to make something like these for my daughter's art themed Bat Mitzvah in august. 

I've done some candy work with melts but not tons.  I've used Wilton candy colors.  Is there something better?  

6 replies
KarenOR Posted 8 Apr 2015 , 4:47pm
post #2 of 7

I was just reading about FLo Coat.   Have people had success with that?  As you can see, I really need to create more of a thin paint consistency. 

I have a million colors of Americolor already, so if this worked, it would be perfect.

MBalaska Posted 8 Apr 2015 , 11:36pm
post #3 of 7

Just look for candy food colors for chocolate.

Magic Mouthfuls Posted 9 Apr 2015 , 7:43am
post #4 of 7

CK and Merkens are alternative brands for candy melts.  Fresh is best - old stuff just doesnt melt properly.  I find buying "super white" is great, then I can colour small batches to my heart's content.  

Alternatively, buy good quality couverture white chocolate (the one with cocoa butter not vegetable oils) and colour that.

Colour using candy colour / chocolate colour only.  It is oil based.  CandyMaster and Americolour offer good products.  Or use chocolate/candy coloured powders (add before melting, but its a pain).  FloCoat is a product which you can add to your usual gel colours (water based) to get them ready before adding to the chocolate/candy melt so that it doesn't sieze.  I've never used it, but a mild vegetable oil (ie canola, cottonseed) does a similar job.  Use a ratio of say 1 tablespoon oil to 1 drop or less of colour.

BakeMiaCake Posted 13 Apr 2015 , 7:16pm
post #5 of 7

I use almond bark.  You can thin it a little with shortening.    And I use chefmaster candy colors.  I like chefmaster the best

writersblock15 Posted 16 Apr 2015 , 5:57pm
post #6 of 7

The colors in the link you posted look like they were made from colored cocoa butter.  You can buy colored cocoa butter online.

fdusing Posted 27 Apr 2015 , 6:45pm
post #7 of 7

I use Wilton candy melts with their Easy thins.  Best products for melting chocolate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%