What Type Of Cake Is Ideal For A Fondant Covering?

Baking By nirvana.h.y Updated 8 Apr 2015 , 8:37pm by -K8memphis

nirvana.h.y Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nirvana.h.y Posted 8 Apr 2015 , 1:55pm
post #1 of 9

Hi! 

I'm relatively new to baking, but I have been doing standard cakes and decorations for a while now. I've been asked by my cousin to bake his wedding cake since its very short notice and I just wanted to know if there are any tips I could get from all of you experienced bakers.. I tried the Italian sponge cake and though it was very tasty, I don't think it holds well with fondant.. I need something that is wedding appropriate and can also hold fondant well (if all works well, it should be a 5-tier cake!) 

any advice is welcome and Im looking to learn from anyone willing to help.. thank you!!!!! 

Much love! 

Nirvana 

8 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Apr 2015 , 2:50pm
post #2 of 9

for weddings i use a box mix with flour & sugar etc. added because it makes a very resilient cake, holds well, slices well, servings can sit out and not get a crust on it right away -- wedding user friendly 

i have a couple recipes for scratch cake too -- do you want all of them or which kind --

let me say this -- if you're intending on refrigerating the cake then consider finding a formula that does not take butter in the cake (icing yes use butter or ganache or whatever) but if you keep it all at room temp a butter batter cake will work fine -- otherwise the butter made cake stays firmer after it comes back to room temp and that's why many scratch cakes are deemed 'dry' -- so you want a cake made with oil if you intend to freeze or fridge it at all --

which recipes do you want -- you can pm me

-K8memphis Posted 8 Apr 2015 , 2:50pm
post #3 of 9

for weddings i use a box mix with flour & sugar etc. added because it makes a very resilient cake, holds well, slices well, servings can sit out and not get a crust on it right away -- wedding user friendly 

i have a couple recipes for scratch cake too -- do you want all of them or which kind --

let me say this -- if you're intending on refrigerating the cake then consider finding a formula that does not take butter in the cake (icing yes use butter or ganache or whatever) but if you keep it all at room temp a butter batter cake will work fine -- otherwise the butter made cake stays firmer after it comes back to room temp and that's why many scratch cakes are deemed 'dry' -- so you want a cake made with oil if you intend to freeze or fridge it at all --

which recipes do you want -- you can pm me

-K8memphis Posted 8 Apr 2015 , 2:57pm
post #4 of 9

by your location being 'ae' do you mean the united arab emerates? i don't know how the recipes will translate to your ingredients -- maybe you should look for some local recipes? but i will send them if you want --

but then again i have a great pound cake that is just flour sugar butter eggs vanilla and cream so that one will cross the globe well... lemme know

nirvana.h.y Posted 8 Apr 2015 , 5:50pm
post #5 of 9

Thank u so much . and it's ok with the ingredients  over so u can shower me with any recipes  :-) cause I definitely  need it

nirvana.h.y Posted 8 Apr 2015 , 6:01pm
post #6 of 9

The wedding is after 2 weeks and I am camping in the kitchen 

-K8memphis Posted 8 Apr 2015 , 8:21pm
post #7 of 9
no copyrights  were infringed in the posting of these recipes -- i can't seem to pm you nirvana.h.y -- it keeps asking me to put in the name and maybe part of yours is cut off or something? anyhow -- here are the scratch ones -- next post i'll put the wasc recipe that uses cake mix that i use --

These ingredients are published in The New Doubleday Cookbook and they call it appropriately, White Wedding Cake--however it is a little golden in color - egg yolks & real vanilla - so i call it

Golden Cake ;)

6 cups sifted all purpose flour
2 tablespoons baking powder
2 teaspoons salt
2 cups milk at room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 # butter or margarine or 1 1/3 cups margarine with 2/3 cups vegetable shortening
(the margarine is not vegetable spread)
4 cups sugar
8 eggs at room temperature
2 teaspoons lemon extract (or sub vanilla)
2 tablespoons finely grated lemon rind (optional)

Preheat oven to 325. Sift flour with baking powder and salt and set aside. Combine milk and vanilla and set aside. Cream butter until light, add sugar gradually, continue to cream until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix in lemon extract (and rind). Add dry ingredients alternately with milk beginning and ending with the dry and adding about one sixth of the total at a time. Beat just until smooth. Spoon into 1 ungreased 13" and 1 ungreased 7" pan lined on the bottom with wax or parchment paper filling no more than half full - this is a high-rising batter. Bake larger layer 60-65 mins until it pulls from the sides of the pan and is springy to the touch. Cool upright in pan on wire rack 10 mins then loosen and invert on rack peel off paper turn right side up and cool thoroughly. If you make 3 batches you get two 13", two 7" and two 10 " layers. Make cupcakes with any leftover batter. The directions have been paraphrased from The New Doubleday Cookbook 1975.

Real good cake. And this recipe is not real fussy - can be halved/quartered. Excellent. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chanlette's Pound Cake

• 3 cups sugar
  • 1 cup butter
  • 6 eggs
  • 3 cups flour*
  • 1 cup whipping cream
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla**

cream sugar and butter really well-- add eggs one at a time -- add vanilla --alternately add flour & cream -- beat on about speed 4-5 for two minutes after all in incorporated --

do NOT preheat oven -- place in cold oven 350 degrees for 70 minutes -- makes about 8 cups of batter if memory serves -- fits in a 10 cup bundt pan -- *if you use all purpose flour it's a heartier cake -- using cake flour gives a finer crumb -- **i add a lot of vanilla ;) probably double thsi amountand i used vanilla paste also available at mary carter cake decorating store on summer & white station --
don't be afraid to get it well done if it needs more time to firm up on the top section that puffs up and cracks -- you could lower the oven temp 25 degrees at that point

there are several variations of this formula -- google 'cold oven pound cake'
 best baking to you
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
and one more

use these special instructions for the following recipe in yellow for an outstanding and easy lovely cake

to the following recipe in yellow add one quarter cup of the cake flour -- i do not separate the yolks from the whites and beat them separate -- mix it like the golden cake recipe -- cream butter and sugar add eggs one at a time -- adding in the sour cream/vanilla instead of the milk between additions of the flour/dry ingredients -- then beat it for 2 minutes -- if you have a ka type planetary mixer don't go over speed 4-5 so you don't incorporate too much air and have holes in the final product -- *and you can delete 3 of the yolks to get a whiter cake if you want -- this cake does not spring back fully to room temperature without being microwaved a bit so you don't want to refrigerate it after it's iced -- but it is lovely at room temp for several days

Sylvia Weinstock’s Yellow Cake Recipe
Ingredients
2-1/4 cups sifted cake flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 pound (2 sticks) sweet butter, room temperature
2 cups sugar
4 large egg yolks
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup sour cream
4 large egg whites
Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Butter and line two 8 x 3-inch baking pans or one 12 x 3-inch pan with parchment.
Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
Cream the butter in a large bowl with an electric mixer until fluffy and light in color, about 2 minutes on medium speed. Add the sugar and continue to mix until fluffy and light.
Add the egg yolks, one at a time, being sure each is well incorporated before adding the next one. Add the vanilla.
Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the dry ingredients alternately with the sour cream, beginning and ending with the flour. Be sure the mixture is completely blended after each addition. Scrape the sides of the bowl, and beat for one minute.
In a separate bowl, with clean beaters, beat the egg whites to soft peaks. Gently fold the whipped egg whites into the batter with a rubber spatula.
Pour the batter into the prepared pans and smooth with a rubber spatula. Bake in the preheated oven, 60 minutes for the 12-inch square pan or 45 to 50 minutes for the 8-inch pan. The top of the cake should be nicely browned. Test for doneness with a skewer or a toothpick; the tester should come out dry and clean. Top with Buttercream Icing.
Yield: 1 large or 2 small loaves.
Recipe Source: Sweet Celebrations: The Art of Decorating Beautiful Cakes by Sylvia Weinstock with Kate Manchester (Simon & Schuster).

Read more: http://stylecaster.com/sylvia-weinstock-cake/#ixzz3UJatOuOE

best baking
-K8memphis Posted 8 Apr 2015 , 8:22pm
post #8 of 9

and you can divide these down to where you only use one egg to test out a smaller batch

-K8memphis Posted 8 Apr 2015 , 8:37pm
post #9 of 9
  • 18.5 ounces of cake mix
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 cup self rising flour
  • 4 eggs (or 4 egg whites or a combo*)
  • 1/4 c oil or a little less
  • 2/3 cup of water
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • vanilla
  • after combining i beat on speed 4 on a stand mixer for two minutes

* i usually put one egg yolk into my white cake to refresh/enliven/moisturize it

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%