Help Regarding A Desing

Baking By happycoolrains Updated 8 Apr 2015 , 2:11pm by -K8memphis

happycoolrains Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
happycoolrains Posted 8 Apr 2015 , 12:30pm
post #1 of 8

Hi,

I am about to make a cake which has horns on it. I am making a butter cream cake. 

http://ideas.coolest-birthday-cakes.com/2013/06/20/cool-vikings-birthday-cake/

Just a question, how can I add the horns on this. I would be making fondant horns, as making it using cake , I am not sure if it sticks to it. I would use skewers though. The problem is they have to be in that position atleast for 4-5 hours. Is there any other option.

So will the buttercream cake handle the pressure of the fondant horns.

Rgds,

Rains

7 replies
manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 8 Apr 2015 , 12:36pm
post #2 of 8

Fondant is heavy and expensive. You'd be better off using Styrofoam: cut to shape then cover with fondant.

happycoolrains Posted 8 Apr 2015 , 12:40pm
post #3 of 8

Thank you for your reply. I was looking for edible options.

Other I can think of is using a waffle cone, but it will be strainght and not curved

Rgds,

rains

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Apr 2015 , 1:45pm
post #4 of 8

ideas for you -- use the waffle cone and just make the fondant curved - except i'd recommend using modeling clay -- see what i mean just use the cone for the skeleton and shape the m.c.

or you could use rice krispy treats -- i would grind them in a food processor first -- i use 5 cups rk to 16 oz marshmallows and 1/4 c butter and some vanilla -- 'melt' this don't boil it before adding the rk -- let them set up over night -- stick a dowel in it so you can attach it down into the cake board for stability --

no problem-o -- you got this -- peeps will love eating/wearing the horns! hahaha

-K8memphis Posted 8 Apr 2015 , 1:47pm
post #5 of 8

y'know pack the rkt together solidly -- you can trim it a bit after it sets up so i mean you don't have to get it exactly perfect at first -- but you're depending on the marshmallows to hold this all together so pack it tight and give it time to set up -- can be made in advance

-K8memphis Posted 8 Apr 2015 , 1:57pm
post #6 of 8

when i get my rkt all mixed up i keep it on a pot of hot water to keep it malleable while i mold -- and you could make them one in two different batches too (but 2 pans to wash oh no! ;) but i would make a big batch and hold the remainder while i molded --

i'd process the rk first so that it holds more solidly --

and i think i would put the dowel in so then enter the cake and hit the cake board vertically, straight up and down -- i would not put them in the horns like popsicle sticks if you see what i mean 

happycoolrains Posted 8 Apr 2015 , 1:57pm
post #7 of 8

Yes I also feel the rkt is the best option. I just came to know from google about that option. Thank you so much

-K8memphis Posted 8 Apr 2015 , 2:11pm
post #8 of 8

you might want to consider making little mini versions of them to scatter around the cake -- 

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/nut-butter-balls/

or an idea for next time :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%