darlene_000 Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 2:47pm
post #1 of

Ok, so I know people do it... how on earth? I can't figure out how a cake would arrive in one peice??? How would you package say a fondant covered cake for it to arrive safely? What about the perishability (Is that even a word? LOL) of the cake ...

Has anyone ever mailed one and could give me a little insight?

5 replies
rhopar33 Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 2:52pm
post #2 of

I have never mailed a fondant covered cake but I would imagine you could wrap in cling wrap, and perhaps wrap dry ice in bubble wrap and put on sides of cakes??? have you ever seen the cakes that are shipped from Perfect Endings (California)? Their cakes arrive frozen and wrapped as I described above. HTH

SILVERCAT Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 5:10pm
post #3 of

You can't mail dry ice, it is consider hazardous material! I am attempting this on tues. From NY to IL. Wrap my cake covered in MMF in cling wrap, put it in my cake box. Put some peanuts ontop for extra cushion. Close my box put it in my mailing box and stuff bubble wrap in the space around the cake box. Sending it 2-3 prioity.

Monica_ Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 6:23pm
post #4 of

I would love to know how to safely ship a cake and keep it chilled to boot. Most of my relatives and my husbands friend are out of state. My only experience shipping stuff was sending some care packages with cookies and fudge the year before last to my husband's best friends in NC. Most of them got theirs in 3 days still fresh and good. Then there was the one who called 5 months later in MAY to say he just got a Christmas tin full of cookies and fudge from us. I had no idea he'd never got them!

THANKS FEDEX!!!

P.S. Being the sorry bachelor that he was, when he called he asked if it was still okay to eat them. I emphatically told him the answer was no. icon_rolleyes.gif

knoxcop1 Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 6:36pm
post #5 of

I've shipped cakes. With dry ice. No problems there.

I prepare the cake as usual. Get it rock hard with no wrapping in my freezer. I make sure to have everything ready to go, so I can work quickly. BC melts super fast.

Wrap the cake well in PRESS N SEAL. Place the cake in bubble wrap. You can buy new rolls at Wal-Mart shipping dept. After it's in the bubble wrap, place small, pre-wrapped blocks of dry ice around it. Your local grocery may have a dry ice freezer and sell them pre-wrapped. Mine (Food City in Knoxville) does, and I keep them in business with it!

Place all of this into a disposable-type dry ice freezer. Place the freezer into a box, wrap, tape, label, SHIP OVERNIGHT.

UPS or USPS are great. Costly--usually around $30 or so for next day air, etc.

--Knox--

hsdwidow Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 6:40pm
post #6 of

Just today I wanted to know about shipping also. Somehow I got onto a thread that talked about mailing overseas to our troops. They showed a great web site.

http://www.cameronpackaging.com/cheesecake_shippers.html#cake_shippers

I am going to try it at some point.
You may want to type shipping in the search box and read tons of info that's already been added to CC.

Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%