rhopar33 Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 2:31pm
post #1 of

Just met with a bride yesterday and she wants one of her tiers to be a pineapple cake. She wants a yellow (butter) cake with pineapple filling.

Does anyone have experience with a pineapple cake for a wedding cake? I make traditional pineapple cakes (yellow cake, crushed pineapple, cream cheese) all the time and my experience is that the cake gets wet. I'm concerned the tier she wants will get too wet and be difficult for the caterer to cut.

Any suggestions???

Thanks in advance, Rhonda

9 replies
jmt1714 Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 3:05pm
post #2 of

I'd think about making a sort of pineapple jam, perhaps. Sometimes it is helpful to remind people that not all types of cakes and fillings are suitable for a wedding cake. At the least, if she insists on it, I'd get soem sort of release that you are not warrantying that that combination will be suitable and she's on her own if there is an issue.

DianaMarieMTV Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 3:08pm
post #3 of

I would look into a premade pineapple filling that is likely to be more stable than a homemade filling. When I make pineapple filling at home I find the pineapples weep a lot of their juices and the filling gets watery. I would assume you wouldn't have as much of that happen with a premade filling. CountryKitchensa.com has lots of fillings, I'm sure they have pineapple too. icon_smile.gif

Momof4luvscakes Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 3:09pm
post #4 of

You could put down a thin layer of BC first to help keep the filling from seeping in. If you are worried about spoilage, you could order a sleeve of pineapple filling. I have not tried pineapple, but I have used the raspberry and the strawberry. I order mine from Kitchen Krafts.

DianaMarieMTV Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 3:10pm
post #5 of

Here is a link to the filling I just mentioned. It says in the description that it will not seep into cake layers. Sounds like what you might be looking for. HTH

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/product.aspx?T=1&productId=619080

Katskakes Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 3:22pm
post #6 of

I have made cakes w/pinapple filling a few times. I usually buy the premade pineapple filling, you'll find it under the name "pastry filling". I'm able to find it in ny & nj in stores that sell cake supplies. The filling is really good and very thick, so it doesn't run. Everyone in the family seems to love it. They have compared it to the bakery we used to buy our cakes from in ny. They say it tastes just the same, but liked the flavor of my cake better. anyway, i used that same company for my wedding cake a few years ago. It turned out great w/out a problem. My cake was 3 tiers all plain white in bc. icon_sad.gif

katy625 Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 4:13pm
post #7 of

That is so funny that you post this! I was seriously sitting and thinking how that would be so yummy to have a creamy pineapple filling. Like mixing it with the icing. Mmmm....I hope you can get it to work!

hsdwidow Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 6:08pm
post #8 of

Maybe you could suggest that they are seperate cakes on stands if she really wants that pineapple cake. You never know why they pick the flavors they do, it could be a sentimental memory and it's more important to her than the style of the cake icon_confused.gif Just a thought.
I had certain sights and flavors at my wedding to signify the gradparents that had died. No one knew it but me, and I cherished that.

cinderspritzer Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 6:12pm
post #9 of

you know, there's the pineapple flavored cake mixes that you can use, maybe add a little extra pineapple extra from lorann oils or something, and make a pineapple filling. they make hawaiian wedding cakes that way all the time when the humidity is too high

polliwawg Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 6:18pm

I have made a a few wedding cakes with pineapple (and others) filling...I have never had a problem. I drain the pineapple real well and use a "custard" base under it by mixing cream cheese, vanilla pudding mix, and whipping cream. My family calls it yum yum cake. It is a hit...almost every cake I do is filled.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%