sstardust17 Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 2:21pm
post #1 of

I need to make ding dong filling for a cake this weekend and the directions say white sugar. I wasn't sure if this was granulated sugar or confectioners/powdered sugar. Does anyone know?

THanks

10 replies
luv2cake Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 2:26pm
post #2 of

It is granulated sugar.
One word of advice when making this filling....stir it constantly with a whisk while you are cooking the flour and milk.
I just stirred it occasionally the first time I made it, and it was lumpy. Gross! It was like ding dong filling with little chunks of doughy flour. Ugh!
Everytime I have made it since, I have taken the time to stand there and stir it constantly and it comes out smooth and delicious.

joby1 Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 2:32pm
post #3 of

That sounds good. Is that recipe here on cc?

Thanks

J

luv2cake Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 2:56pm
post #4 of

Yep...
Here's the link:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-715-0-Giant-Ding-Dong-Cake.html

vickymacd Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 3:07pm
post #5 of

I used Melvira's recipe and it was delicious. I put it in individual cupcakes.

Monica0271 Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 3:08pm
post #6 of

icon_eek.gif this sounds soooooo delicous! Now my mouth is watering icon_smile.gif

luv2cake Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 4:36pm
post #7 of

What's Melvira's recipe? Please share!

bellejoey Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 4:44pm
post #8 of

Oh! I'm going to try this. I have a twinkie pan set and recipe from William Sonoma and I'm going to see if this filling tastes good inside the twinkies! Yum! icon_smile.gif

joby1 Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 10:06pm
post #9 of

The twinkie thing sounds great! Thanks for the link too. I will have to try this....sounds great. You will have to try the twinkies and let us know how they turn out!

J

sstardust17 Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 9:45am

OMG...I made the filling last night and it was awesome. Everyone at work tried some and said it was amazing. I hope the people at the baby shower like it!! Thanks for the help luv2cake!!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 10:17am

That sounds so good. The other day I made some, but used a recipe I found online for mock Devil Dogs, Ding Dongs, etc. The only thing was that I was a cup of Crisco - no butter. Yuck! I was so disappointed in the way it tasted. Wish I had seen this first. When the cake was eaten with the MMF it wasn't too bad. Sort of hid some of the chemical taste. But I will never use that recipe again. (Used for filling in between my bottom four layers of chocolate cake in my popcorn cake as my s-i-l loves Devil Dogs and the cake was for her birthday).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%