kjackson Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 1:53pm
post #1 of

Please explain to me how you insert the nail? I seen a couple posts on this, but it never went into detail about it. I read to spray the nail w/ bakers joy (or whatever) then insert flat (head) side down with spike sticking up. Is this correct? Does the nail leave some type of "void" or impression in the cake when you flip it over and remove it? I'm so worried about that. I'm baking my first 1/2 sheet cake today and am really worried about the middle not getting done while the sides cook too fast. I plan on backing my oven down about 10/25 degrees as it always cooks way too fast.. anyone with any other hints/suggestions? I'm open to any! Thanks so much!!!!

12 replies
grama_j Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 1:59pm
post #2 of

I just spray my nail with the same stuff I use for the pan..... place it head down in the center of the pan, and pour in the batter..... It really does help it to bake more evenly, and causes no harm..... "Try it...you'll like it!" LOL !

shelbur10 Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 2:01pm
post #3 of

It leaves only the tiniest indention and hole that is easily covered with frosting.

NEWTODECORATING Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 2:02pm
post #4 of

You are correct about the flower nail. Treat it the same way you do your pan-grease/flour whatever, then put it in the center of the pan flat side down.When the cake comes out of the oven and is cooled enough to take out of the pan I lay my cooling rack on top of the pan with the nail sticking through the grid and flip the cooling rack and pan at the same time. You can then pull the nail out. It might leave a little mark where it was but nothing icing won't cover.

MissRobin Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 2:27pm
post #5 of

I baked my bottom tier for a wedding cake I'm doing this weekend. It is 16" and I did not use a flower nail, I just soaked my bake even strips really good and barely took out excess water, in other words.they were almost dripping when I put them on the pan, and my cakes turned out perfect, they baked perfectly even. I used the flower nails last time and they did leave a mark and a hole in the center of the cake. Alot of people don't like the bake even strips, but I have found that the secret to them is soaking a long time (while your mixing cake), and putting on really wet. BTW, I learned that from my cake instructor. Happy Baking!

mbalis Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 10:13pm
post #6 of

For my 11 x 15 cake pan, I use 3 flower nails. Just space them evenly across the center [long ways]

I don't think 1 is enough, but I have been wrong before icon_smile.gif

Dana0323 Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 10:22pm
post #7 of

I've done an 11 x 15 with and without a flower nail, and both turned out fine. I did use my bake even strips--- they are awesome!

Alison01 Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 11:28pm
post #8 of

I am getting ready to bake 3 cakes...I think I"m gonna try the flower nail. I have always been aggravated by my cakes not cooking even, but have never tried anything to help it!

Ohara Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 12:30am
post #9 of

I use both...the flower nails and the bake even strips, at the same time. I use more than one nail in cakes larger than 8". They turn out well. Good luck.

kncab Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 12:42am

What are bake even strips? And wher can you get them?
I just baked my first "big" cake and had trouble getting it cooked in the middle

Lyn4uk Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 1:49pm

Hi,

I too was wondering what "Bake even strips" were and where I could get some. After searching around the net I found a "tip"
Soak a 2 inch strip of heavy towell ( slightly wrung out) and wrap around the tin securing with a pin. Apparently this will ensure evenly baked cakes icon_smile.gif

Hope you find it helpful

Happy Baking

Lyn

bobwonderbuns Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 4:48pm

Wilton makes Bake-Even strips and every Michaels and JoAnns have them. They come in two sizes, medium (the 4 pack) and large (the 2 pack.) They are some sort of flame-retardant material and you soak them for at least 1/2 hour to 45 minutes in water (submersed.) You will need to measure which bake strip fits around your pan -- usually one medium bake strip will fit around an 8-inch pan. Then take them out, run your fingers down the length of them lightly so they are still soaking but not dripping. Wrap your cake pan with it and use the T-pin to secure. Fill cake pan with batter and bake as usual.

The dynamics of this is that when a cake pan goes into a hot oven, the first part that gets hit with the heat is the sides. The heat penetrates through the cake to the center very quickly but then has noplace else to go, so it goes up (heat molecules are lighter so they rise.) This is what gives your cake that dome on top. The bake strips provide a wet barrier for the heat trying to hit the sides, letting the rest of the cake cook evenly, and more flat on top. For larger cakes, like the rectangular cakes, a flower nail as a heating core in the center works well to assist in getting the center properly cooked (metal conducts heat.) Hope that helps! icon_biggrin.gif

pammelasue Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 4:54pm

Well, all Joann's have them but mine icon_surprised.gif The Joann's where I live does not carry ANY cake stuff icon_cry.gif I have to either go to Walmart or drive an hour to the nearest town big enough to have any stores...and they have a Michael's, AC Moores, and Joann's thumbs_up.gif

Love my Bake-even strips though. I haven't tired the rose nail thing yet because I haven't done a big enough cake to warrent that yet...but I have a wedding cake coming up and I think I'll do as some here suggested and use the Bake-even's and nails.
Pam

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%